Unraid is it a good business option?

After buying a new server at the company I work for, I ended up giving the idea of using Unraid for virtualization, but my coordinator is not very fond of this idea. So I was wondering if Unraid really would be a good option to solve the problem of virtualizations here in the company and (if possible) the names of some companies that use this tool. Thank you very much in advance.

My opinion is that unRAID in its current form is not suitable for business use. First and foremost from a security standpoint unRAID is not hardened enough for standards of most (and ideally all) businesses. Additionally support for unRAID primarily happens through the community forums. Official support and documentation is not robust enough for a business. And for your use case specifically, unRAID's VM management interface lacks a number of the features present in more mainstream Virtualization interfaces (even if the features are technically available through the command line). Everything i have seen suggests that Limetech is targeting home media users. It is a great OS for what it was designed for, a home media NAS.

• Like 1
On 7/8/2020 at 1:03 PM, primeval_god said:

My opinion is that unRAID in its current form is not suitable for business use. First and foremost from a security standpoint unRAID is not hardened enough for standards of most (and ideally all) businesses. Additionally support for unRAID primarily happens through the community forums. Official support and documentation is not robust enough for a business. And for your use case specifically, unRAID's VM management interface lacks a number of the features present in more mainstream Virtualization interfaces (even if the features are technically available through the command line). Everything i have seen suggests that Limetech is targeting home media users. It is a great OS for what it was designed for, a home media NAS.

I agree with this.  Look at something like oVirt (or pay for VMWare if your company has the cash).  Or if this is just a single server, install CentOS 8.1 and KVM and set up the disks in a RAID-5 with proper backups.  UnRAID is great for us hobbyists but I wouldn't put it into a production environment for business data.

Since it's lacking the robust components of a more traditional business-based OS, I'd say no.

That's not to say that specific/ limited use cases wouldn't be potentially appropriate for unRAID.

I could see static/archive/near-line bulk data storage as being a possible use.

I see unRAID as a great digital "file cabinet in the basement" concept, and that's how I basically treat it.