Bonding / Link Aggregation - 802.3ad direct connection / cable

I have 2 Unraid boxes with 4 ethernet interfaces each. 

Is it possible to do bonding / link aggregation - 802.3ad with direct cables (box to box) rather than going through a switch capable of 802.3ad? 

If I need to go through a switch I will have to waste 8 ports with 8 cables when I can just run 4 cables between the 2 unraid boxes.  

Is it possible? 

This links claims is possible. -->. 

I tried it but it does not work

Edited by johnwhicker

LAG seems won't work. ( Best you have a try )

http://mobile.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/linux_unix/article.php/3850636/Understanding-NIC-Bonding-with-Linux.htm

Conversely, if you have no switch support and just want to increase throughput and enable failover, use balance-alb. Finally, if you just need a data replication link between two servers, balance-rr is the way to go.

Edited by Benson
1 hour ago, Benson said:

LAG seems won't work. ( Best you have a try )

http://mobile.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/linux_unix/article.php/3850636/Understanding-NIC-Bonding-with-Linux.htm

Conversely, if you have no switch support and just want to increase throughput and enable failover, use balance-alb. Finally, if you just need a data replication link between two servers, balance-rr is the way to go.

I tried this option but it looks like it still needs to go through a switch :(  I just want run the 4 cables across the 2 boxes and the bond them together somehow.  Snap, why is always so hard :)