These builds any good?

pras1011

image.png.578cef5cbfd96f3fa23e99106f6ef3d2.png

I want to upgrade from my Qnap TS-653A as the hardware is quite old now.

Any thoughts on these two builds? The AMD build is about £100 cheaper. I want to use the CPUs integrated graphics for basic checking if Unraid has loaded. I will be using this server for sending movie rips to my Zidoo player (no transcoding required). The mobo should have wifi 6 and as many sata ports as possible.

Edited by pras1011
4 minutes ago, pras1011 said:

I want to upgrade from my Qnap TS-653A as the hardware is quite old now.

Any thoughts on these two builds? The AMD build is about £100 cheaper. I want to use the CPUs integrated graphics. I will be using this server for only playing films from. The mobo should have wifi 6 and as many sata ports as possible.

I would pick the Intel build for the potential to use the iGPU for hardware transcoding. Can't remember which kernel supports 10th gen Intel CPU hardware transcoding, hence I said "potential".

Just now, pras1011 said:

I have edited my first post.

Wifi is not supported by Unraid because of missing driver. Keep that in mind.

How much is £100 as a proportion of the full build cost? If it's less than 20% then I would still pick the Intel i3-10100 (shouldn't it just be called i3-20 instead?).

8 threads vs 4 threads can sound somewhat trivial but with the same base clock, each hyper-threaded core (i.e. extra thread on the same physical core) adds about 20%-35% more performance depending on the workload. The i3-20 also has better single-core boost.

A quick look on Neweg for B550/Wifi6/mITX gives only those 3 boards : https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007625 601352805 601334148 600009028

The Gigabyte have a Realtek NIC while the other two have an Intel NIC, so probably better supported. Even if the Realtek chip is proably in the last unRAID beta.

As for SATA, they all have 4 ports.

There are probably other details to look at, but from this 10min search, the Asrock board seems OK and cheaper than the ASUS.

It would all be fine for a while since it's a basic configuration for a basic use case.

But I feel that you don't need an Unraid build just to stream movies... you're replacing a NAS with a server platform but not planning on using that server platform for anything other than a NAS... 

You're spending the money on a new system with "the latest mobo" but not planning on using it for anything significant.

I'm saying this to build up your anticipation for the future.. spend the money correctly in the first place so that you're not wasting money down the road redoing everything when you want to expand your usage of Unraid.  I didn't think I would use Unraid for "much" when I built my server and a couple years later I'm looking at an entirely new setup (cpu/mobo/ram) in order to 'do more' ...  now spending 2x the money since I didn't do it in the first place.

Since you are not planning on using server grade hardware your main concern is going to be whether or not you want cpu provided graphics or want to use an external card for anything.   For the future use, I'd be looking at something like the AMD Ryzen 7 3700X with a graphics card.  Much more powerful CPU at not a much higher cost, and a cheap graphics card gets your video output.

Intel, I'd be looking at a more recent 8-9-10th gen i5/i7 maybe...

RAM I'd be planning on at least 32gb to start.

I know this is not the response you were asking for, but you should not plan your limited ability to use Unraid fully.   If you really, 100%, only want something to stream movies then you really don't need to build a system for Unraid.. you just need a newer NAS box.  Unraid offers so much more that you shouldn't plan on not using because of your build specs.

I have been using Unraid for 10 years and so far my use for it for movies has never changed. I have had various builds and so far the Qnap 653A for Unraid has been my smallest. Its also the weakest in terms of hardware.

I do understand that my two proposed builds are very expensive for what I need Unraid to do. I have thought about getting another Qnap for Unraid but they are more expensive (TVS-672N is £1400!) and the Qnap 6 bay server cases are bigger than the 653A.

The AMD build will be approx £568 and the Intel build will be £657 approx. The ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax is about £215.

• 4 weeks later...