v6.8.3 - GPU fans in VM (Windows or Linux) never slow down

Hi everyone,

I have only just started using Unraid and so far love it, I have come from a windows Hyper-V environment and for my home lab unraid makes everything so much easier.

I have VM's with GPU passthrough working fine (both Pop_OS and Windows), but have one final thing that I need to iron out, as it is driving me mad and have spent hours searching and trying different things

The issue is GPU fan speed, everything starts off great, fans are off or minimal rotation, but then as the load picks up, and the fans do as well, then when the gpu load drops the fan speed does not, so I can have a 0% gpu load and the fans spinning their heads off.  Once I stop the VM, the fans return to normal.  I can replicate this in both Windows and Linux, and get the issue 100% of the time.

I am using and passing through a TechPowerUp BIOS that has been edited in line with SpaceInvaderOne's video and other than the fan control, everything else works fine

My setup:

Ryzen 3900x

ASUS Strix Gaming-F x570 Motherboard

Gigabyte GTX 1080 GPU

64GB RAM

I have attached diagnostic files.

Thanks in advance, this is the only thing remaining that will make this a perfect experience

tower-diagnostics-20200710-0142.zip

I can think of 2 potential reasons

1. You use i440fx machine type which sometimes don't play well with PCIe cards.
  2. Did you install GPU management software in the guest VM?

I use Q35 machine type and after installing Nvidia drivers, I can use MSI Afterburner to control the fan curve of my Zotac GTX 1070 fine.

So I suggest to install a GPU management software from Gigabyte (or MSI Afterburner, which I have found to control other brands fan curve as well) and see if it helps. If it doesn't then I would suggest switching to Q35 machine type.

Critical note: Do NOT change machine type using the GUI (or worse just edit the xml). There are very complex changes to switch between i440fx and Q35 that require a lot of xml edits which the GUI can't handle.

Start a brand new template and pick Q35 machine type and reconfigure everything from scratch. You can pick the same vdisk, PCI device even same MAC address. Just remember to do it from a fresh brand new template.

Updated to Q35 ....

and problem remains, bummer

But I did try a GTX 1070 from another machine and it performed perfectly, so for now I will keep the 1070 in there and see if the 1080 might need a flash or something.

In GPU-Z it reports 0 RPM fan speed even though the fan speed are going off their tree with the 1080, and the with the 1070 it reports the accurate speeds and spins down gracefully, so looks like a sensor issue with the 1080.

I'll try a flash over the weekend, but looks like either a specific device incompatability, bios issue or sensor issue.

At least with the 1070 it is quiet so I can work :-)

Thanks for the suggestions, and it even feels like the Q35 change is actually snappier in performance???