Dell R710 USB drives and BIOS Updates

I am trying to configure a R710 as an UNRAID server but I am having a few issues.

When I plugged in the USB UNRAID drive from my old server the USB stick was not recognised (16Gb), I have tried a few all formatted to fat32 and most are not recognised. Although I have one 16Gb USB stick that is.

This seems really odd.

The BIOS on the server is 6.1.0 from I think 2012 so I thought maybe a BIOS update will solve the USB issue and so I put the BIOS update onto the working USB stick and went into the utility, but when I get the server to read and check the BIOS file it waits for ages before coming up with an error re Interrupts and requires a reboot.

Any ideas what is going on here?

Perhaps you could try to use the iDRAC and the update ISO to update your server first.  You can attach the ISO and it will run through and update BIOS, drivers, etc. on your system.  If it's a BIOS issue causing your problem, the update should fix that, then you could try your USB stick again to boot unRaid.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln296511/update-poweredge-servers-with-platform-specific-bootable-iso?lang=en

54 minutes ago, rbjap said:

Perhaps you could try to use the iDRAC and the update ISO to update your server first.  You can attach the ISO and it will run through and update BIOS, drivers, etc. on your system.  If it's a BIOS issue causing your problem, the update should fix that, then you could try your USB stick again to boot unRaid.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln296511/update-poweredge-servers-with-platform-specific-bootable-iso?lang=en

Thanks I will do this later.

In the mean time I reset the BIOS by clearing NVRAM and it seems to be able to see USB drives that it couldn't before. Strange. Wonder what setting in there needed resetting?