Assistance on how to raid my HHD for UNRAID server

Good Morning,

Looking for some help with setting up my UNRIAD server i'm not sure on the best way to raid my HHD or if i need too. Does the Parity work as back ups or is it better to just stick a 600gb hhd in there and raid my remaining hhd.

i have 7 600gb hhd and 2 1tb hhd Not sure on what would be the best Raid setup and where i should put them on the server

Any help would be appreciated 

Edited by mutabear
44 minutes ago, mutabear said:

Good Morning,

Looking for some help with setting up my UNRIAD server i'm not sure on the best way to raid my HHD or if i need too. Does the Parity work as back ups or is it better to just stick a 600gb hhd in there and raid my remaining hhd.

i have 7 600gb hhd and 2 1tb hhd Not sure on what would be the best Raid setup and where i should put them on the server

Any help would be appreciated 

Unraid is not RAID so you can't think of it that way. Also parity is not a backup - protection against a single drive failure is not a backup.

You should provide some details as to what you are using the server for + what other hardware is available so we can give you better suggestions.

• Thanks 1

Good Afternoon Testdasi,

Thank you for your reply do you need to have a parity on the server if its only a single drive failure?

Ill be using the server for Media Storage. and setting up some fun docker containers as well as VM's and wanting to set up a camera system in docker to run my security cameras. im wanting to use the server for learning more about IT. 

My server has the dell raid controller which allows me to do one raid. But also has this thing which allows me to make virtual drive which i can do as many raids as i need.

If theirs any other information you believe would help please let me know

You shouldn't mix physical RAID controller with UNRAID.

Your Dell controller probably is a LSI clone so should be able to flash it to IT mode. You might want to ask johnnie.black who is way more experienced with these controllers than me.

Once it's flashed to IT mode and running as HBA, you can then use Unraid to manage the storage.

Whether you need parity or not depends on how important the data is. Parity with Unraid does offer advantages over traditional RAID (e.g. the ability to recover at least SOME data when there are more failed drive than parity) but with performance penalty.

The general recommendation is you probably should have a parity unless you are 100% sure you don't.

What other storage devices do you have on the server beside the 7x600GB and 2x1TB?

Would it be better to use the virtual raid option for unraid then instead of the dell controller?

That's all i have at the moment. i am planning on getting more once the server is up and running. 

I was playing around with the server last night and set up the 2 1tb HHD to be raid 1 and then set 2 of the 600gb HHD to be raid one as i wanted them to be off the aray for storing the camera system recording on. and then set the remaining 5 600gb hhd to be raid 5. but when i got to the GUI it wanted the 5 x 600 to be the parity as it needs the biggest storage for the parity which meant i only had 1tb of usable space so wanted to know if there was a better way of setting it up

Thanks for the advise, I'm not very good at reading block text but i think i have a better understanding,

What i've gathered please correct me if i'm wrong. Is i dont need to raid all my drives. what i should do is buy a 2tb+ drive to be my parity on the server. use one of the 600gb drives to be my catch drive keep the two 600gb drives i have as raid 1 and off the aray for camera system and then then 2x tb and the 4x 600gb drive i raid as raid 5 to be the main storage on the server or do i not even need to raid my 600gb drive and just add them as normal. Watched some videos and seems like they dont bother raiding there HHD and just use the parity as there fail safe

But i dont understand what you mean with the dell raid card. as it only allows me to make one raid so i was just going to use the Virtual drive on the server to raid my hhd

Edited by mutabear