New Router setup

3 hours ago, Fiservedpi said:

I'll be getting a new router tomorrow and I want to make it as painless as possible, in order for my Unraid server to get the same IP address as the old router do I have have to configure a static IP in the new router? and fwd the same ports? Or is there anything else I should be aware of?

You need a orderly plan for doing the update. 

First thing to do.  Download the user manual (download all the manuals...) and read through them.  (Probably not all of them will be in the package in any case!)  Make sure that the default IP address settings are what you want them to be.  If not learn how to change them to the addresses that you want.  Read the section on assigning static IP addresses. 

Second, look at the  settings of the current router and make printouts of the settings that you want to keep from that setup.  The reread the sections of the manual that explain how to config the new router to include those settings.

Third, decide what new features that the new router has that you want to implement.  Decide if they have to done in this initial setup or if they can wait until you are sure all of the older settings from the previous router are working fine. 

Fourth, find the users forum for your new router and sign up for an account.  The manufacturer's 'Help and Support' staff may be much less helpful than the forum.

• 2 weeks later...

i totally biffed it, old router ip range 192.168.86.0/24 new roter ip range 192.168.1.0/24, So gues what i did? went through every device manually and resetup rather than just editing the new ip range so everything got new ip's, needless to say its been about 2weeks and im almost at 100% again. Lesson Learned