[Script] Unraid USB Device Auto Attach Tool

Scenario:
- You want to assign identical devices to each VM

- You don't have multiple USB controllers

- You cannot identify the USB devices by USB vendor and product id

- Amount of VMs could vary and USB device models per type (keyboard, mouse, etc.) could also vary

Solution:

This script enumerates all running VMs and assigns each VM the configured devices dynamically. If something changes, like amount of running VMs or the attached devices, just run the script again.

How to use:

1. Install Python from NerdPack

2. Copy the script to your unraid server as usbattach.py and make it executable (chmod +x usbattach.py)

3. Create a file called usbdevices.cfg in the same directory and fill in the device description per device in each line, if the devices of this type are exhausted you can add another device description with semicolon, for example:

Fujitsu Siemens Computers;Holtek Semiconductor, Inc. Keyboard
Logitech, Inc. M90/M100 Optical Mouse
Generalplus Technology Inc.

This means that every VM gets a Fujitsu Keyboard, a Logitech mouse and a Generalplus sound device; if the Fujitsu keyboards are exhausted, the next VM gets a Holtek keyboard assigned.

4. Run the script. (This can be automated e.g. via SSH plink.exe from putty)

Download: https://gist.github.com/SebbiUltimate/bcf61efb9be5bbfc5161097e0d998c9a

Edited by SebbiUltimate
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...

sounds very interesting but not sure if this is what i want.
i want to ensure that all the usb's connected to the host are passed through to the running VM that have specific GPU passed through.

I of course want to blacklist some devices like the Unraid OS USB drive.

If i shutdown the VM and I run another one that have the gpu passed thourgh the script should mount all the usb's to the new VM.

is that possible?

53 minutes ago, segator said:

sounds very interesting but not sure if this is what i want.
i want to ensure that all the usb's connected to the host are passed through to the running VM that have specific GPU passed through.

I of course want to blacklist some devices like the Unraid OS USB drive.

If i shutdown the VM and I run another one that have the gpu passed thourgh the script should mount all the usb's to the new VM.

is that possible?

Yeah that should work, it maps the devices to all running VMs, so if you shut it down and start another the USB devices should remap to the other VM.