Migrating from Synology

Hello all!

I plan to migrate all of my data from my ds918+ to my tower.

I actually have 2*12TB inside the tower.

I've created a share called "MEDIA", which use all the disks, high-water... and things goes hell with file split...

I've tried everything, but during my copy, everything goes to disk1, and never split :(

for exemple, tv shows:

MEDIA\TV Shows\TV Show name\Season X

I wanted a split at season level, so I set split only top 4, but it doesn't work.

Do I have missed something?

Thanks.

Make sure you really understand and need to use the split level parameter.  It was originally intended for use by users who were storing DVD media content (in a folder-and-file arrangement) to keep all of the .vob files on one disk.  (This prevents a pause in playback if the files are spread across more than one disk!)  Today, many users seem to being using it from a COD standpoint to force things to simply be more organized to their thought processes.  (Plus, back in those days, 100GB disks in the array were not unusual!  With 12TB disks, the odds of a 'bad' split are rather small..)

If you think about it, what difference does it make if the episodes of a show for one season are on more than one disk?  Sure you could have a five second pause between the end of one episode and the beginning of the next one but does it really made that much difference?

The problem with the setting is that it can force a write to a disk without enough space for the transfer.  (The split level parameter trumps the Min free space parameter!)  You might think this does not happen but I seem to recall that about once a month, there will be a thread in this forum where this setting has caused exactly that problem.