No mouse and keyboard present when installing Win10 VM

Hello everybody.

After my first steps with Unraid I started a new attempt and wanted to change my server from OMV to Unraid. Everything went smooth so far, also the first VM (Ubuntu 20.04) is running flawlessly on 6.9.0-beta24, even with GPU passthrough and mouse and keyboard attached to the server. It is also no problem to install Windows 10 to a VM using VNC.

BUT: when passing through the GPU to a new Windows 10 VM, there is no mouse and keyboard upon installation and I am stuck at the first screen where you can choose the language.

I tried several combinations of i440/q35 and ovmf/seabios but none is working so far. I also used different USB ports also without success.

What is going on? Please help! This was never an issue with unraid 😞

Hardware:

Ryzen 7 1800x

X370 Crosshair VI Hero

16GB (32GB soon)

AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB

a bunch of HDDs and SSDs.

Edit: strange behaviour. I connected another set of mouse and keyboard and when I pass through both mice and keyboards, one of each works. But not for long, the VM freezes sooner or later 😪 

Is there anything I can try?

Edited by SignorRossi

I kind of found a solution: passing through the whole PCIe Device/IOMMU group which contains the USB Controller with mouse and keyboard.

But in my eyes this is a dirty hack compared to the situation before where you were able to just pass through the USB devices. I really don't like that this way.

Edited by SignorRossi

I had a similar problem when I first started my installation. What I found worked was to use "remote view" option when you select the VM you want to start up. That allowed me to install windows without using the VM keyboard or mouse. After windows was installed the keyboard and mouse worked normally.