UnRaid on AMD Ryzen, power states and stability

Divi

Hello world!

I've been using UnRaid on Ryzen for quite some time now as basic NAS unit with few dockers and Hassio VM. Just yesterday I decided to ditch my main pc, took the server in and configured a "gaming vm" to use as my main desktop. So far so good, managed to passthru a gpu and usb controller. Input devices, DAC and GPU drivers are in and working.

When first building the server about a year ago, I remember having stability issues that were solved by turning off some C-states and other power saving features of Ryzen. Just a general question here, has there been any improvements how UnRaid handles Ryzen power plans, is it possible to turn some of those back on? Currently my CPU is idling at base clock on all cores 24/7 which was totally fine in server rack, but now I would like it to really go idle if possible.

AMD Ryzen 7 1700

Gigabyte Aorus X470 Ultra Gaming

24Gb Kingston Hyper X regular basic non-ecc

Nvidia GT520 for host

Nvidia GTX970 for VM

2x Samsung 860 Evo 500Gb Cache

2x Seagate Ironwolf 4Tb Array

20200712_085513.thumb.jpg.0beabdc76798c11c36f44f6a76e187dd.jpg

Thanks for the link! Its possible that my previous problems were partly caused by memory speed, all tho the freeze would always happen when the machine was idle, usually it was frozen in the morning. Disabling C-states was the fix and this thing has been rock solid since. Still, running 1st gen Ryzen atm and all 4 sticks, I should be using 1866mhz in case of 2R sticks according to the spreadsheets in the link. Currently I'm running 2666mhz. I'm not sure if my kingstons are single or dual rank, but I assume dual rank because cheapest of the cheap, and already quite old.

I've been eyeballing those 3900X and XT cpus now, as they would allow me to run higher memory speeds and provide more cores for virtualization. Just plain lot more power and cores to play with. I'm just not sure how 8+3 phase power delivery of Aorus X470 Ultra Gaming would stand feeding 24/7 rig. Well I guess most of the time the system is idling with low power consumption anyway. CPU support list says also 3950X is supported tho, but still im not sure. 

Display and GPU are waiting for the upgrade first tho, and I need another SDD to install games on, dont wanna fill my cache drives too much with the VM. Maybe I drop the parity from cache pool and just backup all the shares from cache to the array every now and then.

• 2 weeks later...

- I have turned C-states from BIOS back enabled (CPU is handling idle P-states normally))

- Dropped memory speed to 1866MHz as suggested

- Installed Python, ran Zenstates.py script with 1700x settings and automated it with CA User Scripts (Script is handling Boost state P0 as commanded, resulting a mild overclock)

Now my Ryzen 7 1700 is idling as it should, Boosting to 3.9GHz like 1700x, and seems to be completely stable, both in games and idling over night. Note that in the pictures not all cores are allocated to windows VM Iäm using to put load on the processor, therefore threads 0, 7, 8, 15 are not boosting as they are used by host and other VM. Perfect!

40VL9hOg.thumb.jpeg.cd942ca60b9c4e6d3083cc02e98866d3.jpeg

wCbkvXag.thumb.jpeg.12b2cea923017625d8464f3ed8f204b6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...