Suboptimal practice of blacklisting previous flash drives - any self service options?

My boot flash drive died on me, so i tried to use an old drive I had used before.

Since it was used before with a pro key, it is now blacklisted, as the key was transferred to a different drive.

This would not be a problem if there would be a possibility to actively use a blacklisted drive for up to1 week.

That would be enough time for Limetech to respond and provide a new key for the blacklisted drive, or to unlist it.

As it always is these things happen late just before a weekend. I am waiting for a solution since 2 days with no way to start my array.

that means also that I cannot use my docker containers and VMs, where my home automation is running.

So clearly not a situation where a waiting time is appreciated at all.

It is also not at all clear to me why there is no grace period for self-reviving a blacklisted drive and a self-service interface (at least I was not able to find it and I looked for something like that) that lets you invalidate a drive and transfer the license to any other drive, even if it is an old blacklisted drive.

I do remember that there was a self service interface and one could to that once a year. however, no idea where to find that.

At least it is not linked on the unRAID web UI for a blacklisted flash drive!

Is there a faster way than waiting for the Limetech support (except of course than paying for another license, since there is no refund option!)?

You could buy a new license, so then you wouldn't have forced Limetech to blacklist the previous key you transferred or to now ask for them to transfer it over to a different key.

Could you try a trial license? I don't remember all the restrictions involved.

I do wonder how you are killing your boot drives. I'm still on my original from what I want to say is a decade ago.

Edited by BRiT
2 hours ago, BRiT said:

You could buy a new license, so then you wouldn't have forced Limetech to blacklist the previous key you transferred or to now ask for them to transfer it over to a different key.

Could you try a trial license? I don't remember all the restrictions involved.

I do wonder how you are killing your boot drives. I'm still on my original from what I want to say is a decade ago.

The FI was thrown, electrical event. Sandisk sticks tend to die when that happens. Lucky you you never had the problem. Its the third time it happens to me.

How do you get a trial license?

I put in a different stick but there was no optione for getting one, I guess because the system knowns that I had a pro license before. Just a guess.

Of course i tried to get a trial to bridge the time being. It seems to be non-obvious if you used a pro license before.

And finally, why would I buy a new license for the same server each time a flash drive is exchanged to to failure or because it was and intermediary solution? that does not seem to make much sense to me, but may it does to you.

An intermediary solution is always needed if you order a replacement flash drive but you need to run the server until that arrives.

Edited by b0m541
2 hours ago, remotevisitor said:

Have you read the manual ..... https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/Changing_The_Flash_Device

This page is accessible from the Unraid home page from a link at the bottom.

Yes of course, have you read my posting?

To be very clear: the button "Replace Key" is _not_ there, because it is saying the drive is blacklisted (as probably every drive you used before).

There is also no button "Purchase Key" on the registration tab.

The UI clearly says one should contact support.

So if someone would know how to get a trial or how to transfer the license to a previously blacklisted drive, that would help.

Edited by b0m541

A drive that has been blacklisted is *never* removed from the blacklist ... even if you contact support they will not do this.   The blacklist is built into all subsequent releases of Unraid and therefore cannot be retrospectively removed.

You need to acquire another usb drive to use for Unraid and follow the documented process for transferring your license to the new key.    

If you have problems doing this then Limetech support can help with any issues you have doing this.

Edited by remotevisitor

Good to know about the blacklist properties, did not find that information elsewhere. That could explain why there is no replace key button.

So my only option is to use another USB drive I have, which may not be reliable, until I receive a new drive.