NVIDIA PassThru Issue When Switching VMs

Hi all,

I am not very experinced with advanced diags for Unraid VMs so I hoping some one will be able to help review my attached diags files.

I can start any VM up first time OK and can be used for some time how ever when I switch it off and switch to another I have had either a) the VM will not start but it is shown as started or b) the whole server has hung.

I'm 90% sure that it is related to the video card getting locked how ever as I said I'm not sure how to find that or if I am right what the solution may be.

I would very much appriciate any help.

Thanks in advance

Terran

tbmaindoma-diagnostics-20200712-2219.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. I think i have tracked it down to the nvidia gtx 730 not reseting when the vm shuts down.

I have managed to export the bios and now load the dump and it always works first time how ever after the vm restart one core of the cpu for the bate metal maxes, after a short while the fans ramp up then the machines switches off.

I'm yet to collect a log from the crash successfully which says to me the hang is pretty much straight away.

Has any on else come across issues with cards not resetting and if so how did you over come the issue ?

Thanks

Terran

Progress report for any one else having a simular problem. Card 1 was an older nvidia and a USB 3 card which I cant get working. I've removed it and replaced with an ati and it seems stable.

I'll have to try some reboots etc (loading data on to a new drive) but it normally has fallen by now.

T

Edited by ccsnet

Hi Guys... I know I'm posting to my self but I would like to think some one will find this post useful in the future.

I'm happy the problem is now fixed... took some sussing due to not having logs to work off but my system has been stable so I'm going to call it a duff video card.

Hope this helps.

T