Understanding Directories and huge Downloads Folder

Looking to make sure I understand the folder structure and why files are in certain directories.  I know this has been covered probably many times, but didn't find a quick answer when looking.

Currently I have another NAS that I'm backing up CA Backup plugin to (Unassigned Devices plugin).  In doing so I was curious to the USB / libvert.img sizes and then the backup location which showed plex having 18GB...

so running on that largest folder I noticed that the downloads folder was even larger

#du -sh -- *

/mnt/user/appdata/Downloads

169GB Completed

5.6GB Incomplete

0 Unzipped_Torrents

Running mover, still has 200+GB on the drives.

Guess I was under the impression the Downloads folder once mover was run would clear out, but there are many older files and folders still in there.  Is that normal?  Am I missing a setup in my config?

409729510_ScreenShot2020-07-13at11_47_58AM.thumb.png.afa5a7dbb67b579b21fb73df19c6c704.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 11.48.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 11.48.22 AM.png

Normally you wouldn't put downloads in appdata. Why have you done this? Downloads should probably be its own user share.

I suspect you have many things configured less than ideally.

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete Diagnostics ZIP file to your NEXT post.

2 hours ago, mkyb14 said:

Running mover, still has 200+GB on the drives.

Guess I was under the impression the Downloads folder once mover was run would clear out, but there are many older files and folders still in there.  Is that normal?  Am I missing a setup in my config?

Perfectly normal. It is simply not mover's responsibility to manage your completed downloads. Need another tool for that.

diagnostics posted.

to be honest, once unraid was up and running, never really had a problem.  but in backing up my system, I was just concerned that the downloads folder was so large.  I thought everything was setup with the SSD Cache drives mostly for docker and downloads to make sure they were as fast as possible.  Mover running once a week or month to get it off to the spinning rust.  Second server was to backup using proxmox and zfs.

tower-diagnostics-20200713-1939.zip

Couldn't tell you why, thought it was for speed and being close to the appdata for dockers (relative paths).

If that's incorrect, I'm fine making changes, just looking to know what the ideal setup is for what I would consider a standard unraid setup.  SSD Cache, drives, dockers and vm's. 

Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 4.58.52 PM.png

The usual way would be to download to your Downloads share and not get it all mixed in with your appdata and how you manage the appdata (backups, etc)

On 7/15/2020 at 8:00 PM, mkyb14 said:

thought it was for speed

You can have Downloads use cache for speed

On 7/15/2020 at 8:00 PM, mkyb14 said:

close to the appdata for dockers (relative paths)

You have container mapping of /downloads to that Downloads folder within appdata. Normally you would not use relative paths but instead use that mapped path, except map it to your Downloads share. Are you actually using paths relative to your config (or whatever appdata is mapped as) within the applications instead of using that mapped path?