Initial unraid setup

It depends on your hardware config. Typically if your hardware PCIe hardware pass-through and you can live with a VM then a VM would be a lot more convenient. I have been using my daily driver (main workstation) as a VM for years now. Having to reboot to bare metal is just a pain in the backside.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, testdasi said:

It depends on your hardware config. Typically if your hardware PCIe hardware pass-through and you can live with a VM then a VM would be a lot more convenient. I have been using my daily driver (main workstation) as a VM for years now. Having to reboot to bare metal is just a pain in the backside.

The question is do you have to install a separate OS to access the VM or it is accessible from some sort of CLI for unRAID?

4 hours ago, dabbler455 said:

I want to run unraid on my PC and wont have a separate one to use to access the web interface to launch a VM. Can that be done locally on the unraid machine?

A few ways to resolve that.

• A VM can be set to auto start.
  • Failing that, you can use the user script plugin to keep on trying to start the VM after some delays.
  • Failing that, you can boot Unraid in GUI mode but you need a graphic card dedicated to Unraid; otherwise, once you start the VM, the Unraid display will disappear and never come back without a reboot.
  • Failing that, you can access the GUI using your phone.

You still, however, need the GUI to do the advanced configuration required initially for the VM so you probably still need another device on the network to access the GUI, preferably with a comfortable keyboard.

Edited by testdasi
  • Like 1