Noob Build for unRaid NAS/Plex Server/Minecraft server

Fropwns

Hi all,

If you have been lurking around on other sites, you have probably seen my spiel:  I lost some data, decided to get a NAS, looked into the out of box folks, and decided for the money that I would rather build my own rig, so I could understand it and troubleshoot it myself.  Then, I decided, well, why not add Plex to the equation and a minecraft server for my family.

I have gone back and forth from Intel to Amd builds, but I keep seeing quirkiness reported with the later, so I have settled on Intel, again.  I also know folks suggest using used parts, and to an extent I do, but I do not feel comfortable buying older Xeon parts without knowing who or what it was used for.  So, I plan to go with new parts.

My projected build looks like this:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hczX6R

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($182.00 @ B&H) or I7 10700 (+130ish)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory  (Purchased For $0.00)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory  (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket Q 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($119.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Red 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital Red 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card  ($239.99 @ Walmart) (Possible that I drop this; especially if it would be better to go with the I7)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.99 @ Amazon)  or a be quiet! BG029 (+30.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 550 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($119.00) or be quiet Straight Power 11 750w (+20.00)
Total: $1070.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-15 19:57 EDT-0400

Look, some of the above might not be necessary, but from what I understand, more cores is better for unRaid, Docker, apps in general.  Obviously, the Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler is overkill, but I kind of want something overkill to keep the thing as quiet as possible. 

But please, for the love of God, tear this sh*t up if you think it is too much, too little, or ignoring the obvious.  I'd rather learn here what to do, and do it right, then continue screwing around in the dark--even after watching SpaceInvader's videos and reading differing guides on all of this, it  still can get a bit confusing.

Thank you for your time, help, and sanity.

Best,

Fro 

Edited by Fropwns

All looks good to me, if you're happy with it.  Nothing is wrong with the hardware so I'll share my opinions with you.

I'll just say that if you strictly plan on using this for an Unraid build then you can probably cut some costs.  Even with transcoding for Plex, if you even transcode anything, you [probably] don't need a $240 graphics card (in my opinion).  Get a CPU with graphics.

A $90 fan.. *shrugs*... too high for me but if it's what you want then great.  There's "got to be" other quiet fans at 1/3 the cost.

Unless this is going to be a focal point in the room, to talk about with everyone that comes over like a piece of artwork, I would look at cutting the cost down on the case.  $120 case to sit in a corner is too much.

You're starting off good with 32GB of RAM.. depending on what you do down the line you may feel like you want more RAM available.. so if you're not buying the RAM now because you already have it (the price says $0) then that's fine.. if you are buying it now then I might suggest going to 64GB if you can get a good deal.

Other than that it looks like you're good to go.  Obviously you didn't plan on using any server grade hardware so that makes it easier.

Thank you for taking the time out to reply.  Yeah the fan and the case are egregious, but, the case in particular, gives me options as it is rather large and offers expansion options.  Plus, I really like the build quality,  I have had plenty of a crappy case in my time.  lol.  As for the ram, yep, I had it from an old build, so I wanted to re-purpose it. 

I did have a question, while intel seems like the safer bet, AMD is hard to ignore from a bang for your buck situation (says the guy that went Ham on a fan and a case).  What are your thoughts?

I wouldn't be against AMD at all since you're using consumer hardware.   Since I "want" to use server grade stuff it's a little more difficult, if not impossible, to do an AMD platform.  There are plenty of folks here using AMD.  You would just have to research if there are any current issues with recent AMD chips to resolve for using with Unraid. 

I remember watching one of SpaceInvaderOne's videos and he used some flag in one of the config files for his AMD processor, don't know which video it was, or why it was needed, but things like that you'd need to know.

It's funny, I'm looking at a pretty similar build, and perhaps we can help each other through our options, trade-offs, etc....  

My PCPartPicker link is here: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/balunasj/saved/RPNkXL

I too was debating between AMD/Intel.  I chose to go intel with integrated graphics at first as I think my transcoding requirements will be low, and if needed can always add a video card after the fact.  

The power supply, RAM, and even motherboard are not chosen for very strong reasons, and wondering why you made the choices you did.  My motherboard has 6 Sata, and PCI slots for video card and Sata board if needed.  

I was planning on using the M.2 slot for OS/Metadata, but wondering about a 2nd M.2 for cache - wdyt?

For case, the Fractal Node 804 looks like a great case for the purpose.

Any thoughts, ideas, and/or updates on your own build would awesome!

Thanks, and good luck,

Jay