[SOLVED] Starting Unraid 6.8.3 problem

I am attempting to start a new Unraid server on a new usb drive.  The installation went ok, but it is stalling somewhere in the boot every time I start it.  While the usb drive has been installed with ver 6.8.3, the harddrives have existing data from the previous unraid v5.0.6 - which was very basic, no special configurations other than the data and folders.  I was expecting the server to boot ok and bring me into the gui where I would configure the harddrives carefully i.e. parity and two data drives.

I have spent about 3 hours trying different usb sticks that I own, scanning for IP addresses to see if that was the problem of not being able to login - but it shouldn't because I have setup a static ip (same as the old configuration). 

So back to where the boot stalls.  The boot doesn't seem to make it through all the way as I was expecting to be able to login to the web portal. Instead the below text is the lines several lines I see on the screen. 

mount_block_root+0x280/0x2a4

prepare_namespace+0x131/0x167

kernel_init_freeable+0x1d9/0x1e2

Is someone able to tell me what I'm missing?

Edited by dn7172

Yes. 

My motherboard is Asus M2V-MX, cpu is an AMD Athlon 64 X2, with 1GB RAM

Parity drive is WD 1TB, and two data disk WD 640GB and 1TB

When I run unraid ver 5.0.6, the flash drive is a Kingston datatraveller 512MB.  I have tried using this and other flash drives with minimum 512MB to 2GB.

Wow thanks! I added a 512mb stick and now it is running!

If anyone has any clue why this happened, please let the rest of us know especially for people who have a surface/general understanding of unraid (me)

Edited by dn7172
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, dn7172 said:

Wow thanks! I added a 512mb stick and now it is running!

If anyone has any clue why this happened, please let the rest of us know especially for people who have a surface/general understanding of unraid (me)

Maybe you were OK on 5x with you specific setup. I think unRAID 6x requires more RAM than the old version you were running.

Probably a valid point.  I now know my setup is limited and will consider in the future what is needed if I need to upgrade.  I'm aware my motherboard is limited to 4 SATA connections and therefore may need to look into a new system or find a decent PCIe controller to add additional ports (preferred approach for now).  But the main thing is that my OS is running with the new version!

Edited by dn7172
  • Like 1
  • JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] Starting Unraid 6.8.3 problem

Don't even think of using anything except NAS functionality till you get more RAM. If you want to use dockers you should consider 4G to be minimum and more is better. If you want to use VMs then you would need enough RAM to give the VMs what they need plus more for Unraid and dockers to use.

Even with strictly NAS, there are some things that may not work without more RAM, because those things use RAM for temp storage. Upgrading from the webUI will download to RAM before writing the upgrade to flash, and getting Diagnostics will compile those diagnostics in RAM before downloading them. And Diagnostics are very important for letting us troubleshoot.