separated networks and bridging ...

Hi there,

I have set up my UnRAID box so it uses it's onboard Gigabit LAN for connectivity to the internet and streaming devices in the household (utilising the main IP 192.168.0.100), and also have a dual 10GBit NIC installed, which connects to a second physical network, which is MTU9000 only and is on a different IP (192.168.1.100), since both my workstations who utilise the storage, mostly, are also on both networks with different NICs, and to avoid connecting through the wrong route.

So, fast stuff is always through 192.168.1.x, slow stuff and internet 192.168.0.x.

Now I have installed the next cloud docker and this gets correctly bridged through the onboard NIC and gets it's own address 192.168.0.101 to be connectable from the internet.

Is there a possibility to also bridge this to the 10GBit NIC and get the additional route 192.168.1.101, so I can also connect to it via the 10Gigabit NIC from my main workstations, if I want to copy a big deliverable file to it before sharing it?

Thanks,

M

21 hours ago, MatzeHali said:

Is there a possibility to also bridge this to the 10GBit NIC and get the additional route 192.168.1.101, so I can also connect to it via the 10Gigabit NIC from my main workstations, if I want to copy a big deliverable file to it before sharing it?

A few things that come to mind:

1. Create a new docker called nextcloud-fast with the same config but bridge to the fast network and use it when you need fast speed to next cloud (use the fast network IP to access).
  2. Since the underlying storage of your nextcloud is still the same unraid server, you can just use your workstation to transfer files over to the same storage location independent of nextcloud.

If I were you I would use (2).

1 hour ago, MatzeHali said:

Is the question so incomparably stupid and easy to fix that nobody even wants to bother enlighten me, or is it so complicated that nobody has a clue?

?

you can change the ip to host this will let it be seen on both networks on the respective host ip. click the advanced view and where you see Web UI: http://[IP]       add a ":" and the port number you want should show on both networks i dont run this docker but usaly works for most.

Edited by nicksphone
typo
1 hour ago, testdasi said:

A few things that come to mind:

1. Create a new docker called nextcloud-fast with the same config but bridge to the fast network and use it when you need fast speed to next cloud (use the fast network IP to access).
  2. Since the underlying storage of your nextcloud is still the same unraid server, you can just use your workstation to transfer files over to the same storage location independent of nextcloud.

If I were you I would use (2).

Yes, I thought I would be able to make easy use of option 2, but since I'm accessing from MacOSX, and talking about multiple user accounts on NextCloud, and the SMB user management on MacOSX is only ever allowing one user at a time, I thought I could connect via WebDAV, which would enable me to connect to multiple Nextcloud user folders with correct authentification.

I do like the idea of a second instance of Nextcloud Docker and will try this.

I guess there is the small off that I would loose some settings if both instances at the same time would write a config file? Or is that anyhow not possible at all, because file locks would prevent that?

Thanks,

M

1 hour ago, nicksphone said:

you can change the ip to host this will let it be seen on both networks on the respective host ip. click the advanced view and where you see Web UI: http://[IP]       add a ":" and the port number you want should show on both networks i dont run this docker but usaly works for most.

Since the slow and the fast network are having different IP addresses, I guess that doesn't work? Because explicitely want the different IPs on different NICs, which are also different from the main server IP.

Cheers,

M

3 hours ago, MatzeHali said:

Since the slow and the fast network are having different IP addresses, I guess that doesn't work? Because explicitely want the different IPs on different NICs, which are also different from the main server IP.

Cheers,

M

when you set it to host you can access any docker on either network from the ip on that network and the corresponding port.  test it out with somthing like krusader set it to host and you can access it from all network ip's assigned to the server so your 192.168.0.* and your 192.168.1.* that are the servers ip. i do it with file shares as well. you will not be setting a different ip for the container which is why you change the port.

Edited by nicksphone
11 minutes ago, nicksphone said:

when you set it to host you can access any docker on either network from the ip on that network and the corresponding port.  test it out with somthing like krusader set it to host and you can access it from all network ip's assigned to the server so your 192.168.0.* and your 192.168.1.* that are the servers ip. i do it with file shares as well. you will not be setting a different ip for the container which is why you change the port.

OK.

But my server address is for example 192.168.0.100 and 192.168.1.100, so I can reach the web interface and everything with the 100-address. The NextCloud docker gets assigned a new IP (in my case 192.168.0.101), so what you are describing doesn't work, because it's just reachable at a specific IP, and I would love it to be reachable also from 192.168.1.101 on the additional NIC.

I'll try out stuff within the next days and report back what seemed to be the best solution.

Thanks for your suggestions so far.

M

23 minutes ago, MatzeHali said:

OK.

But my server address is for example 192.168.0.100 and 192.168.1.100, so I can reach the web interface and everything with the 100-address. The NextCloud docker gets assigned a new IP (in my case 192.168.0.101), so what you are describing doesn't work, because it's just reachable at a specific IP, and I would love it to be reachable also from 192.168.1.101 on the additional NIC.

I'll try out stuff within the next days and report back what seemed to be the best solution.

Thanks for your suggestions so far.

M

when you change it to host you are not giving it its own ip anymore which is why you have the goto advanced and add the port.

• 4 weeks later...

In the end the easiest solution to have nextcloud docker behave normally on both subnets was to install a second docker for the second interface. Easy as pie and so far no hiccups.

Reason was I did want the next cloud behave as a "real" server with it's own IP on both subnets, not just ports on the main IP, so that's the route I took.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

M

Edited by MatzeHali