Continual UDMA CRC errors from Dell MD1200

I'm running unRAID on a Dell R720 with an additional MD1200 attached for another 12 drive bays, connected through a PERC H810 in IT mode. The drives in the R720 itself are fine, but the drives in the MD1200 keep racking up the UDMA CRC errors — I'm getting three or four alerts per day, per drive.

I've tried these steps:

• disassembling and reassembling the MD1200, just in case the backplane was slightly out of place
  • using the other controller in the MD1200
  • using other channels on the PERC H810
  • replacing the cable
  • swapping the drives to different bays in the MD1200
  • swapping the drives from the MD1200 with drives in the R720 — the errors stay with the MD1200 rather than following the drives (as expected)

Nothing seems to make any difference. Does anybody have any idea how I could fix this? (Or, is there a way to disable UDMA CRC error warnings for those drives only? At least I wouldn't have to clear a ton of notifications every morning 🙂 )

It could be Perc H810 ( should be SAS2208 based ) not compatible with MD1200, any firmware could try ?

Or

You could try non-official flash it to IT mode

https://mywiredhouse.net/blog/flashing-lsi-2208-firmware-use-hba/

1 hour ago, ElectricBadger said:

there a way to disable UDMA CRC error warnings

You can uncheck ( disable ) SMART UDMA CRC monitoring by global or individual disk. But this not a good idea.

Edited by Benson

The PERC H810 is Dell's official recommendation for the MD1200; it's flashed to IT mode, meaning it's showing as an LSI card (I can't tell which one without rebooting, as it doesn't show in IDRAC without Dell firmware).

The output of `dmesg` contains a load of lines like this:

[832578.039795] mpt2sas_cm1: log_info(0x31080000): originator(PL), code(0x08), sub_code(0x0000)

which I suspect is related.

I can't believe I forgot you could configure the warnings per-drive. More coffee needed, I think…

[ Assuming that:

using the other controller in the MD1200

also means using a separate 8088 input connector [else there's a tiny chance that the (single?) 8088-IN is flaky]

]

Then, I suspect that you might have a glitchy H810 controller.

In either case, if you have a 8088=>4xSata breakout cable, you could "test" the H810 independent of the MD1200.

Edited by UhClem