Convert reiserfs to XFS hdd by hdd or build a new server

I am using the server below and I will eventually be buying and preclearing 5 X 16tb Seagate Exos hdds. My current server uses Reiserfs and I want to migrate to XFS as I was told this is better filesystem.

Basically I can do this two ways:

1) Do it on the old server below hdd by hdd one at a time.

2) Or build a new server with xfs and transfer data from old reiserfs server to the new xfs server.

Which method is easier?

Edited by pras1011
  • 4 weeks later...

Do I copy the usb drive of the old server minus the unraid key and then put that in the new server so that it can be exactly the same as the old server setup?

If not, then what is the process? I only have one user share and I use the server for storing films for the zidoo media player. 

Edited by pras1011

Everything about your configuration is in the config folder on flash. Some things from that configuration that you will not want on the new server is the license .key from that other flash, since each flash must have its own unique key, and the super.dat file, which contains your disk assignments.

Anyone?

What are your plans for the old UnRAID server? If you won’t be using it for UnRAID, just use your current USB flash drive as is and do a New Config to get the new disks in the new server properly assigned and recognized.

If the plan is to keep both in service, yes you can just copy the current flash drive, install a new license and do a new config.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
17 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

If you won’t be using it for UnRAID, just use your current USB flash drive as is and do a New Config to get the new disks in the new server properly assigned and recognized.

And you can just connect the old ReiserFS disks to that new server as Unassigned Devices and copy their data that way.

I will sell the old server once I have transferred the data over.

So copy onto a new but temporary usb the contents of the current unraid usb and remove key and super file. Then plug it into new server. Both servers will be plugged into the same router and using a win 10 pc to do the transfer. The write speed will about 100MBps. That will take a while to transfer over 45TB.

Both servers are 6 bay meaning I will only have on slot free on each server.

If i move a reisfers disk to the new server, can i transfer internally at faster than 100MBps?

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

53 minutes ago, pras1011 said:

100MBps is my current write speed from pc to router to unraid server.

I assume that is either writing to cache, or no parity installed.

Even so, I thought the scenario you were considering now was going from old server to pc to new server. You could go directly between servers and leave out the PC.

Or just do one disk at a time directly on the new server with Unassigned Devices and leave the network out completely. You wouldn't even need the old server running and could just go with your already licensed flash drive on the new server.

I have turned the faster write speed on, on the old server. I do not use a cache drive and the parity drive is active. And the pc is wirelessly connected to the WiFi 6 router. The old hdd are ironwolfs which are quite fast and the new hdds will be the exos.

I am hoping that the speed will stay the same from old server to pc to new server.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Edited by pras1011
  • 4 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, pras1011 said:

move the permanent flash drive with pro key from the old server to the new server without any mods

You will have to reassign all disks since the new server has different disks than the old. New Config might be the best way instead of deleting config/super.dat, since New Config will let you Trust Parity. I'm not sure you get that option otherwise.

If you had any VMs with passthru then expect those to need tweaking for the new hardware.

2 minutes ago, pras1011 said:

So click New Config on the old server and then shutdown.

No that won't even have any effect.

Boot up with the old flash on the new server. It won't let you start because none of the disks are the same. Do New Config on the new server, assign new disks, and check the box that says parity is already valid. Maker very sure you don't assign a data disk to the parity slot.

1) I have started the new server with the temporary usb but the share from my old server is not on the new server. Any ideas on this?

2) And its also started a Parity-Sync/Data-Rebuild on the new disks. Is this ok?

3) All of the data disks report that I have 126 GB USED. Is this ok?

Edited by pras1011
1 hour ago, pras1011 said:

1) I have started the new server with the temporary usb but the share from my old server is not on the new server. Any ideas on this?

The user shares are simply the top level folders on cache and array disks. The share name is the same as that top level folder name. Any disk that contains a top level folder named for a share contains files for that share. This is how user shares work, whether you create them in the webUI or not. Any share you haven't made settings for will have default settings.

So, if there isn't a top level folder on cache or array for a share, the share doesn't exist. Have you started copying the share yet?

2) And its also started a Parity-Sync/Data-Rebuild on the new disks. Is this ok?

I assume its doing parity sync, which is what it has to do to build parity initially.

3) All of the data disks report that I have 126 GB USED. Is this ok?

Probably, XFS has some filesystem overhead, more for larger disks.

30 minutes ago, pras1011 said:

I copied the share configuration file from the permanent usb to the temporary usb and rebooted the new server and then checked the share tab but nothing. (I am not using a cache drive)

Once you have those shares then they will have the settings from their configuration files. But the shares themselves don't exist if there are no files for the shares. Those top level folders I mentioned are what is required for a share to actually exist.

Any top level folder on cache or array is automatically a user share, whether or not you actually created it as a user share in the webUI. In fact, people accidentally create user shares all the time by specifying a top level path somewhere, such as in docker mappings.

And the user shares have the same names as those top level folders. If the top level folder exists on multiple disks, the share exists on multiple disks.

Any user share you haven't configured has default settings, but since you copied the settings over, all you need is the actual top level folders themselves for the users shares to actually exist.

19 minutes ago, pras1011 said:

Are you saying that when I drag and drop copy the Films share from old server to the new server, then the Films share is created on the new server?

It is not so much that the user share is created. The user shares are just alternative views of the folders and files that have already been created.

When you create a new user share in the webUI, Unraid creates a top level folder named for the share on cache or array as needed and in accordance with the settings for that user share. But whether or not the top level folder is created that way, or simply by specifying a path that causes a top level folder to be created, all top level folders are part of a user share with the same name as that top level folder.