All Drives Have Read Errors Overnight (BTRFS Errors with no BTRFS Filesystems)

Hey everyone, overnight I started getting read errors on all my drives going from 0 errors to total of 15 read errors across 4 data drives and 1 parity drive in my array. I am at a loss at the moment and I am uncertain how to move forward without large amounts of data loss. I am not overly concerned about most of the data and have the really important stuff on offsite backups.

I am hoping that someone can shed some light into what is happening with my array right now because it is very unsettling to have errors on every single one of my drives overnight. The odd thing is that my cache drive shows no errors but I also cannot access it and my docker containers are all hanging and unresponsive to any start/stop commands. I also find it odd that I am receiving errors about BTRFS when I have no BTRFS file systems.

Jul 18 09:00:01 NUCLEAR-WINTER kernel: print_req_error: I/O error, dev loop2, sector 5441336
Jul 18 09:00:01 NUCLEAR-WINTER kernel: BTRFS error (device loop2): bdev /dev/loop2 errs: wr 43, rd 3655, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0

Attaching diagnostics in the hopes that someone on here can assist me. Thank you in advance.

nuclear-winter-diagnostics-20200718-1000.zip

Edited by backlands

Log is completely spammed with errors from an external 4TB disk, can't see anything else, disconnect that disk, reboot and post new diags if/when there are more issues.

15 hours ago, backlands said:

I am receiving errors about BTRFS when I have no BTRFS file systems.

That is the docker image.

• Thanks 1

Ah interesting, I think it may be related to a bad USB3.0 PCI card I have installed. That 4TB drive is the only one on that card. I have unplugged and rebooted. Drives are showing no errors now and parity is running (around 70% done with no parity errors). I will come back if I start seeing more errors with the 4TB external drive removed. Thank you for the assistance Johnnie!

On another note, do you have any recommendations for a USB3.0 PCI card that doesn't require an additional power connector? Only needs to support 2 drives at most, although more is always better.