[SOLVED] Disk Wrong

Hi, I have been trying to setup an array using ALL the available slots, with 2 cache & 1 parity drive.

I am using an Adaptec Raid controller, and setting all the disks to JBOD, so that Unraid can "see" them.

After successfully filling all the slots, and starting the array, it's all working fine.

However, after nearly every startup or restart, it has a error (as shown in attached).

If I unassign the "wrong disk", and restart the array, again, everything is fine, UNTIL the next startup or restart, and a different disk has the "disk wrong" fault, and the array has stopped.

So far, I have had 5 different disks have this problem.

It's a mixture of SAS & SATA drives, and it's the SATA's that are having the problem.

I have another "box" almost identical, and so far there has been no issues.

Can someone please guide me to a solution..oh, and resetting the array, (in Tools, new config) does not fix this, and strangely enough, if I re assign the wrong disk, it requires formatting, again.

BTW, running 6.8.2.

Cheers

Disk Wrong.jpg

1 hour ago, johnnie.black said:

Would need the diags to confirm but based on the screenshot the disk is likely being detected with a small capacity difference, and if that's the case this would be a controller issue.

OK, thanks for the quick reply, I will see what I can do about posting the diag's (not too sure how to do that).

But if it's a controller problem, then I'm stuck :(....might see if there's a firmware update or something, or I might have to change the controller.

Thanks

7 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Tools -> Diagnostics

Thanks for that.... I've just been firmware "hunting", and I think I may have a fairly old bios version.

I'm running an Adaptec ASR-5805 (which are old anyway), but the other Unraid box has the latest bios version that that controller has, and I don't seem to having the wrong disk problem.

So I will flash the bios at my next opportunity, and I will report back.

Cheers

• Like 1
On 7/19/2020 at 7:42 PM, GeoffH said:

Thanks for that.... I've just been firmware "hunting", and I think I may have a fairly old bios version.

I'm running an Adaptec ASR-5805 (which are old anyway), but the other Unraid box has the latest bios version that that controller has, and I don't seem to having the wrong disk problem.

So I will flash the bios at my next opportunity, and I will report back.

Cheers

So, I have updated the BIOS of the controller card, and I apologize, I'm using an Adaptec ASR-51245, and after several starts & re starts, it has found ALL the hard drives, every time...so that must have been the issue.

I ran a diagnostics, and after it asked me to download it, it sort of went into limbo mode, and didn't seem to be doing anything, so after 10 minutes or so, I forced my way out, but I could find the .zip file anywhere, so it must have failed.

• Like 1
  • JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] Disk Wrong