samba broswing files owned as root

I'm 6 days into testing free trial, loving it so far etc etc... however

1 problem with samba. On an Manjaro vm when I browse smb shares the user/group of all shares and then files are owned by root/root. In a Ubuntu 20 vm they have ? as owner. This is probably an issue with Manjaro, but I trying to locate where this mapping of id's is done ?

If I mount on command line with mount -t cifs uid= and gid=, then the permissions are obviously set correctly.

Any help, thanks.

First go to the terminal widow in the Unraid GUI and enter this command:

ls -al /mnt/user

Then follow the path down to the point where you are looking at the same file as you are looking at in the Linux desktops.  What do you see there?  You should see something like this:

root@Rose:~# ls -al /mnt/user/Media
total 8462508
drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users       4096 Aug 27  2019 ./
drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users         75 Jul 19 02:30 ../
-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users    7726504 May 24  2017 100-Magic_Act.mp4

This is the typical permission pattern that you should be seeing on the Unraid side.  Any other user/group or permission pattern will eventually cause you a problem.

One important thing to note is that  root   is not an allowed samba user on the Unraid side of the equation.  (This is a security issue...)

You will have to have another user name to actually log into SMB on Unraid.  (root might be able to gain access using the 'Public' access mode that SMB permits.) 

Edited by Frank1940

Thanks for the quick reply... Yes I have normal permisions on the unraid side... it turns out there is something wrong with how nemo and thunar file browser display or map the nobody:users permisions when browsing shares. On krusador, or Dolphine they appear fine, so I don't understand the problem, but I don't think its unraid.