Will 5820k be enough?

Hello, community!

I'm new to Unraid (and long-term Synology user), just built a small server with J5005 with 8Gb RAM, 3x3Gb HDD's (1x Parity and 2x Data) + 1Gb SSD for cache few days ago. Overall I'm very happy with Unraid and I'd like to build more powerful server to meet my needs, so I have several questions if you don't mind.

I have pretty basic needs, at the moment I'm using these dockers (probably will be a few more to come, but I'm not planning to use any VM's yet):

Nextcloud (self-hosted) with OnlyOfficeDocumentServer

mariadb

Plex (with hw transcoding since I'm using PlexPass)

qbittorrent

Firefly-III

piwigo

letsencrypt

duckdns

GooglePhotosSync

Krusader

So, my questions are:

1. Is CPU affecting the speed of parity check or other disc r/w operations? There was an accident yesterday and Unraid server was shutdown not properly. When I turned off the server of course it started doing Parity-Check. During this process (about 5.5hrs) my CPU was from 45 to 100% and using dockers was a nightmare - I was able to connect to some WebUI's only on 5-6 try, loading was extremely slow, etc. After Parity-Check was completed everything returned to normal, so I'm pretty sure I'm bottlenecked J5005 CPU (which is pretty slow IMO). I'm planning to upgrade my regular PC (i7 5820k, 32Gb, 980Ti), so I could use it for my Unraid server. Will I see performance boost for parity check and other disc operations with new CPU or will docker apps work as usual during parity check? 5820k will be enough for my needs or should I look to something like Xeon E-2278G? Of course I understand that Xeon is workstation/server grade and I could choose much suitable motherboard with IPMI and lots of SATA ports and PCI lanes, but probably 5820k will be just enough for now since I already have it.

2. Will new CPU affect the docker speed (loading, performence, etc)?

3. Am I right if CPU usage will be very low/idle I won't experience high power usage due to 140W TDP of this CPU (if I understand correctly TDP is not such an important factor if the usage is low)?

Thank you for the patience (and noob questions) :) All replies are highly appreciated.

Edited by fourways
typo fix

Your system share has files on the array, specifically disk1. Possibly you enabled dockers before installing cache so that got created on disk1. This will affect the performance of dockers and keep array disks spinning since docker will keep these files open.

What do you get from the command line with this?

ls -lah /mnt/disk1/system

20 hours ago, trurl said:

What do you get from the command line with this?

ls -lah /mnt/disk1/system

I got this:

root@FWSERVER:~# ls -lah /mnt/disk1/system
total 0
drwxrwxrwx  4 nobody users  47 Jul 16 16:51 ./
drwxrwxrwx 11 nobody users 194 Jul 21 18:52 ../
drwxrwxrwx  2 root   root   24 Jul 16 16:50 docker/
drwxrwxrwx  2 root   root   33 Jul 16 16:51 libvirt/

If I remember correctly I installed all the disks including cache ssd in one go. It's just constant CPU load with sometimes 100% load for for some cores when UnRaid doing parity check, that made me think I don't have enough CPU power.

Getting docker and libvirt images onto cache and off array may help but should be done in any case. In fact, you don't even need libvirt since you aren't doing VMs.

Go to Settings - VM Manager and disable VMs then delete the libvirt image from that same page.

Go to Settings - Docker, disable dockers and delete docker image from that same page.

Go to Main - Array Operation and Move Now.

Wait for Mover to complete and post new diagnostics.

• Like 1