PhotoPrism

Hi there ive been looking for a decent photo backup docker im not really liking Lychee or PiWiGo but have come across PhotoPrism which looks really promising is there anybody that has this working with a docker template? or anyone that has used docker-compose to get it running that would be willing to share there templates or .yml files

kind regards

I created this template.... but not sure it is working correctly. I cannot figure out how to make it read the folder that contains existing images.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Container>
<Beta>False</Beta>
<Category>MediaServer:Photos</Category>
<Date>2015-06-17</Date>
  <Name>PhotoPrism</Name>
  <Description>
PhotoPrism™ is a server-based application for browsing, organizing and sharing your personal photo collection. It makes use of the latest technologies to automatically tag and find pictures without getting in your way. Say goodbye to solutions that force you to upload your visual memories to the cloud.

Login Password: photoprism

</Description>
  <Registry>https://registry.hub.docker.com/r/photoprism/photoprism/</Registry>
  <Repository>photoprism/photoprism</Repository>
  <BindTime>true</BindTime>
  <Privileged>false</Privileged>
  <Networking>
    <Mode>bridge</Mode>
    <Publish>
      <Port>
        <HostPort>2342</HostPort>
        <ContainerPort>2342</ContainerPort>
        <Protocol></Protocol>
      </Port>

</Publish>
  </Networking>
  <Environment>
    <Variable>
      <Name>PHOTOPRISM_ADMIN_PASSWORD</Name>
      <Value>photoprism</Value>
    </Variable>
  </Environment>
  <Data>
    <Volume>
      <HostDir>/mnt/media/photos</HostDir>
      <ContainerDir>/originals</ContainerDir>
      <Mode>rw</Mode>
    </Volume>

</Data>
  <WebUI>http://[IP]:[PORT:2342]/</WebUI>
  <Banner>https://i.imgur.com/SI9FZCR.png</Banner>
  <Icon>https://i.imgur.com/SI9FZCR.png</Icon>
</Container>

Sorry that I cannot be of further help. Hopefully this will give you a leg up on creating your own templates.

Best of luck.

H.

I've got this working without compose, main thing missing from above template is that you need 3 folders:

• import/upload: maps to /photoprism/import
  • photo archive (originals): maps to /photoprism/originals
  • appdata folder (db and thumbnail cache): maps to /photoprism/storage

Check out the compose file for other vars you can add:.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/photoprism/photoprism/master/docker/photoprism/docker-compose.yml

Edited by tjb_altf4
On 7/21/2020 at 4:10 AM, hernandito said:

I created this template.... but not sure it is working correctly. I cannot figure out how to make it read the folder that contains existing images.

Sorry that I cannot be of further help. Hopefully this will give you a leg up on creating your own templates.

Best of luck.

H.

Created a new template that works properly and is also available in the CA APP... ;)

@dathomas85 & @D'n'S137 (this is the official container) & @tjb_altf4

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, D'n'S137 said:

Nice job. I will have look on this. Maybe set another name because Hernanditos CA App looks exactly the same way.

Stay healthy.

Should now all work properly since I've run this on my own server.

Also included all the main and usefull options as variables and also added descriptions.

For the name I have to say I will leave as it is, since it's name is 'PhotoPrism' and I don't add anything to it by default, you find it also in the CA App if you search for 'ich777' that's my repo.

Also the icon that I use has a transparent background (mybe not visible if you are using the 'light' Unraid theme).

• Like 2
10 hours ago, ich777 said:

Should now all work properly since I've run this on my own server.

Also included all the main and usefull options as variables and also added descriptions.

For the name I have to say I will leave as it is, since it's name is 'PhotoPrism' and I don't add anything to it by default, you find it also in the CA App if you search for 'ich777' that's my repo.

Also the icon that I use has a transparent background (mybe not visible if you are using the 'light' Unraid theme).

Thank you ich777... I confess I did not spend Much time on this.  I don’t understand how templates show up automatically on CA.... I would like to get rid of mine from CA. Any idea how to do this? Any idea how I can create test templates and not have CA pick up until I know they are fully working?

thanks again,

H.

Edited by hernandito
14 hours ago, hernandito said:

Thank you ich777... I confess I did not spend Much time on this.  I don’t understand how templates show up automatically on CA.... I would like to get rid of mine from CA. Any idea how to do this? Any idea how I can create test templates and not have CA pick up until I know they are fully working?

thanks again,

H.

After you deleted them search them again in the CA App and then delete them, also there is a option I think in the CA App itself, think on the left side menu.

Eventually @Squid can help.

15 hours ago, hernandito said:

I don’t understand how templates show up automatically on CA

The templates which you're uploading to the GitHub template repository automatically show up in CA.

15 hours ago, hernandito said:

Any idea how I can create test templates and not have CA pick up until I know they are fully working?

Don't upload them to GitHub until they're tested.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 5 months later...

I also want to install PhotoPrism on my new unRaid server. PhotoPrism is one of the reasons why I built my unRaid server.

Is there any way to use docker compose in unRaid and the official docker-compose.yml from PhotoPrism?

They also use Watchtower for updates.

On 1/3/2021 at 1:32 AM, toasti said:

I also want to install PhotoPrism on my new unRaid server. PhotoPrism is one of the reasons why I built my unRaid server.

Is there any way to use docker compose in unRaid and the official docker-compose.yml from PhotoPrism?

They also use Watchtower for updates.

The PotoPrism container is available in the CA App.

1 hour ago, ich777 said:

The PotoPrism container is available in the CA App.

And will it install the newest version of PP? 

I installed Portainer yesterday and planned to give it a shot.

EDIT: Are there any more details about the PP app you created? What will happen in detail etc.

Edited by toasti

What should happen, this is the official image...

Yes this installs the latest version also use the CA Autoupdate to check for updates automatically.

EDIT: This is a unraid specific app and you don't need watchtower on Unraid.

I don't understand, why did you install portainer photoprism works fine on unraid itself.

Would recommend to connect it to a dedicated database like MariaDB.

I installed it with Portainer now and used the Docker-Compose file. Works very well. The "Beta" in your app was something that makes me nervous, because I want to start now my real live PhotoPrism server.

When I install your app, will it also install MariaDB and connects to it?

And can I control all the needed paths for Storage, DB, etc.?

With the docker-compose.yml in Portainer I really had the feeling to control what will happen when I click on "deploy".

EDIT: I have clicked now on "install" and saw all the options for PP - perfect. OK, maybe worth a try.

But is there anything more I need regarding MariaDB except install the container and put in the access details in the PP installation?

Any disadvantages when I use Portainer and not Unraid?

Edited by toasti
5 hours ago, toasti said:

The "Beta" in your app was something that makes me nervous

I can't mark it as alpha since PhotoPrism is Alpha, anyways, this isn't my App, this is the official PhotoPrism container, I only made the template and put all the effort in to create the descriptions...

With the docker-compose.yml in Portainer I really had the feeling to control what will happen when I click on "deploy".

I don't get the point why you need a second webinterface for setting up containers, I feel more comfortable making it on my own and learn something how containers work, that's where I startet and later became a Community Developer.

Also you will have all container on the Unraid Docker page and also in Portainer another disatvantage is that you have to install Watchtower...

But the setup is up to you and not my usecase.

For example Portainer is for me a tool that runs on my RaspberryPi's or Odroid N2+ where I run a Minecraft server or IRC server with my docker containers to have a GUI like in Unraid but not with the comfort of that many templates.

But is there anything more I need regarding MariaDB except install the container and put in the access details in the PP installation?

Not much, eventually create a non root user in the database and a inital database for the container and then connect to it.

Are you sure that you know what the docker-compose.yml does?

12 hours ago, ich777 said:

I can't mark it as alpha since PhotoPrism is Alpha, anyways, this isn't my App, this is the official PhotoPrism container, I only made the template and put all the effort in to create the descriptions...

OK, now I understand why you marked it as BETA, not regarding your "template", but because of PhotoPrism's state. OK!

By the way, in the meanwhile it seems to be stable.

12 hours ago, ich777 said:

I don't get the point why you need a second webinterface for setting up containers, I feel more comfortable making it on my own and learn something how containers work, that's where I startet and later became a Community Developer.

Also you will have all container on the Unraid Docker page and also in Portainer another disatvantage is that you have to install Watchtower...

But the setup is up to you and not my usecase.

For example Portainer is for me a tool that runs on my RaspberryPi's or Odroid N2+ where I run a Minecraft server or IRC server with my docker containers to have a GUI like in Unraid but not with the comfort of that many templates.

I am not a Docker pro, I just started. But in the past I always used it without Unraid on my normal PC and used the docker-compose files to build the container and also built own images just for tests.

The same thing you described - "how it works" - is a thing I am interested in. In the meanwhile I found a few forum entries how to build own CA apps and now it is also more clear for me how your PhotoPrism app template work and saw that I can edit every option to see which PP variable is set here. Very good thing, thanks for your effort!

But there's one suggestion to change in your template / field description for "Storage path".

At the moment it's described with "Path to your images and storage folder for your settings".

But the settings will be saved in the PP-Storage under "Data Dir". For me it was confusing and thought the picture folder is now also storage path for my PP settings?

Only "Path to your images" would be more correct in my opinion.

I'll try to get the DB running for PP and then will try your template.

I installed it now and got this when I want to enter PP:

image.png.3e0468ec0e6844897b39345410ebf930.png

All seems to be fine:

image.thumb.png.29b29596921e4b92d656fd23a5534215.png

The Log is empty for PP.

Do you have any idea?

I created a database and user on MariaDB for PP and entered the connect string in the settings.

EDIT: I got it. Connection refused. I used localhost in the connect string...

Edited by toasti
4 minutes ago, toasti said:

Hello @ich777,

PP is running fine with your app.

But what I need to adjust is the variable "PHOTOPRISM_ORIGINALS_LIMIT", because it's default on 1000 MB which is to less for videos.

How can I add this setting or are you able to add all "optional" settings? -> https://docs.photoprism.org/getting-started/config-options/

Simply go in the template from PP and go to the bottom where it says 'Add another Path, Port, Variable, Label or Device' and click on it, then select 'Variable' as Key set 'PHOTOPRISM_ORIGINALS_LIMIT', as your Value set your preferred value (you can also set a name but that isn't required) and click on Add.

Then click apply and the variable is set.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

Can you guys help me ?

I had successfully setup Photosprism using default CA format and its running. However when i try to add MariaDB database parameters in template, it does not bring web GUI and there are no logs. I am using exact parameters as adviced. Following is my DB parameters

photo:photo@tcp(192.168.2.3:3306)/photo?parseTime=true

I had already created a database name 'photo', user 'photo' and pass 'photo' 

Taj

• Like 1
  • ich777 locked this topic