Daily main workstation / gaming rig powered by Unraid

Hello friends! Here's my main rig powered by Unraid. I'm running Windows 10 Gaming VM on it as my main pc. Its handling many other tasks as well, you can find out lower in the specs what. :) I used to run Unraid in my garage strictly as nas/server, but decided to use it also as my gaming pc as I dont have so much time to game nowadays. It just made sense to use one hardware for all.

OS at time of building: Unraid 6.8.3 Basic
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3,9GHz Boost OC
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X470 Ultra Gaming
RAM: 24Gb Kingston Hyper X Fury 2x4+2x8 @ 1866MHz

GPU 1: Nvidia GT520 (for host)

GPU 2: Nvidia GTX970 (Passthru for VM)
Case: BeQuiet Silent Base 801
Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 550w
Fans: 3x BeQuiet stock 140mm, 2x Corona 120mm RGB, 1x 120mm Thermalright on Macho120 CPU cooler

Parity Drive: 4Tb Seagate Ironwolf
Data Drives: 4Tb Seagate Ironwolf (1pcs)
Cache Drive: 500Gb Samsung 860 Evo (automaticly backed up weekly to array)

Unassigned Drive 1: 500Gb Samsung 860 Evo (game installation storage for VM)

Unassigned Drive 2: 1Tb WD Green (Storage for security camera footage)
Total Drive Capacity: 10Tb, 4Tb as NAS and its plenty for me

Primary Use: NAS, Gaming VM, AdBlocker, Home automation, security camera NVR, unifi controller, Media server
Likes: Its fairly compact, stays cool and doesnt look anything else than you regular gaming pc.
Dislikes: Fans could be still quieter
Add Ons Used: Plex Media Server, MQTT broker, Unifi Controller, Shinobi Pro, HassOS VM, Windows 10 VM, Many plugins, scripts etc
Future Plans: Nextcloud will be coming, and maybe moving from Shinobi to Zoneminder but we'll see. Hardware upgrades are endless, but after fans I'd like to swap gaming GPU to a new Ampere card, maybe RTX 3070 or something. CPU I will update eventually to 3900X or 4000-series equivalent. Memory needs to be swapped to 2x16Gt 1R kit so I can run it faster. I guess PSU needs a bit more power also for Ampere and 12-core. After these upgrades it should be a long time rig, multiple years forward... Motherboard I am super happy with. IOMMU groups are perfect for my use case.

20200722_185152.thumb.jpg.4d09a52a2510fb7b665c39bddfd359f9.jpg

20200722_211717.thumb.jpg.7e587b026aa0b648585660f496830410.jpg

Let me know what you think! :) 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

What a very nice built and place! When I saw this I really want to clean up my office 🙂

I am really new to unRAID and also thinking about to use one machine for all because of problems with another case in my little office.

I wanted to buy a new Synology and ended up with total fascination about unRAID 🙂 

A few questions about your system:

- You let the system run 24/7 - would it be a problem for unRAID to startup and shut it down daily? I am not sure at the moment if I would let my big machine run all the time. A Synology with 10W power consumption is another story ;-) Do you know how much your systems eats?

- How is the performance for things like gaming and maybe video cutting? I struggle with the speed of my current CPU (Pentium 4620) and thinking about to upgrade this. To use this hardware for unRAID AND my daily driver would be awesome to save hardware costs for a second system. But how will the W10 VM perform on unRAID? I think one separated this for the VM is than a must, right?