Maybe It's Time We Resuscitate the Wiki?

Zer0Nin3r

On 3/28/2020 at 12:37 AM, dboris said:

This information REALLY needs to be condensed / communicated (or integrated in the OS ? ) by unraid's dev team.
It would have saved me so much time.

On 3/28/2020 at 7:31 AM, testdasi said:

I just skimmed through this topic in less than 10 minutes. If that is "countless hours" for you then you have bigger things to be concerned about.

Blaming others for your own laziness will get you quite far.

I'm siding with @dboris on this one. As a layperson who does this in their spare time and not at a professional level, it's kind of hard to be aware of everything and anything especially since the Unraid wiki is dead, technology, software & techniques change on a regular basis, and Invision Community's search and forum as a platform sucks (with some regard.) But if the wiki is not updated to act as a central location for insightful information and guides, then we are left to using the forum's wonky search or using an external search engine to parse the forums for the information we are looking for. Even then, the efficiency in doing that is horrid having to bounce between a patch work of forum topics and threads, sometimes opening up multiple tabs to reference back to other threads whose topics tie in with the problem that one is trying to troubleshoot on any given day. Then say you get tuckered or burnt out on whatever side project you're working on, you have to come back and repeat the whole process all over again because god forbid you forget anything that you haven't touched on in a long while or a regular basis.

If nobody wants to update the wiki and only relegate information to fractured forum threads then at least Discourse has some semblance of link bundling, summary building, and cross topic suggestions built into their platform.

I've tried different CPU pinnings for the 1950x for the gaming VM using the given mappings in the Unraid template thinking the CPU / HT pairings were in line with the actual CPU 1 & CPU 2 sets only to find years later and recently that the reported CPU / HT pairings are incorrect and do not account for the latency in Infinity Fabric.

But in your defense @testdasi I also get where you are coming from. You only get back what you put in. Meaning, put in half the effort to understand all this crap and you will get mediocre results. Put in the effort to fully understand what is only shared knowledge and reap the benefits and rewards that comes with the community coming together to share information.

In closing, I just want to thank everyone on this thread for taking the time to dissect the AMD Threadripper and Ryzen CPU's and sharing your findings with the rest of us — even if it feels like we are getting "into the weeds" with this knowledge. If I was in a better place, I would take all of this information and make it more accessible for the casual Unraid gamer and less technically inclined users in this forum. But perhaps that day will be soon. Until then...don't hold your breath. 😉

---

Other thoughts

I see that there is a section for guides, but the problem is when I become tired or bored of a particular project — that thread becomes stale. Sure, people can come in and post new findings, suggestions, etc, but then the topic becomes yet again, fractured. There is no way for me to enable anyone to edit my original post to act as a quasi wiki page that would feature the latest in knowledge and information.