Parity Drive Disabled

My Unraid server had a hard crash and i seemingly lost the cache drive and the parity drive. I was running a VM and everything froze up. (no conflicts with unraid flash drive).

On reboot i couldn't get array up initially, and was getting error saying the cache needed to be formatted and the parity drive was disabled. 

i first ran a READ check on the array, as that was an option. That took almost 2 days, but passed w/o error.

I next selected to reformat the cache drive and restored the app data. Lost VMs, but no problem.

But now i don't see how to re-engage the parity drive. It shows as disabled. This occurred without physically opening the PC.

Regardless, i check the seating of the cables, and even swapped cables with a working drive, to no avail.

it correctly identifies the HDD in question and passes all diagnostics, no errors 

attached is the tools > diagnostics zip

HDD: WD 12Tb while label > i've checked and rechecked the pin-out and it looks perfect

PSU: Seasonic 650TR 

MB: Asus x470 hero

CPU: 3900x

RAM: Trident Z

titan-diagnostics-20200722-2145.zip

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/22/2020 at 11:10 PM, trurl said:

SMART for parity looks OK. To rebuild to same disk:

1. Stop array
  2. Unassign disabled disk
  3. Start array with disabled disk unassigned
  4. Stop array
  5. Reassign disabled disk
  6. Start array to begin rebuild

Hello,

I have a very similar issue, although mine is really weird.

a while ago one of my storage drives in a remote machine came up disabled. I finally got to the remote location this week to replace it.

I had precleared the drive before installing it in the machine. I assigned it to the previous spot and proceeded to start Data-Rebuild, at the end of the process, the new drive was not installed and the parity drive was disabled. I reconfigured the system with 2 parities and 2 storage keeping out the original disabled drive.

The reconfigure worked, I had 2 parities and 2 storage, setup the rest of the system and all was well. I put the original disabled disk in a different slot and started preclear to see if it could be used, preclear has not thrown a single error however when I got up this morning one of the parity drives was disabled.

I am attaching 2 diagnostics 

tower-diagnostics-20200816-1-1452 was ran while preclear was running.

tower-diagnostics-20200816-1646-2- was pulled after preclear finished and system rebooted

Not sure if it matters but thought it best when asking for help to give as much info as possible.

At this point, I am just concerned that if I try to re-enable the partity drive or add the cleared drive, that it will crash the system again

Chas

tower-diagnostics-20200816-1-1452.zip tower-diagnostics-20200816-1646-2-.zip

Why have you allocated 50G to docker.img? 20G should be more than enough unless you have something misconfigured. Also your appdata, domains, system shares have files on the array. This will make dockers/VM keep array disks spinning since these files will be open, and docker/VM performance will be impacted by parity updates. But, that isn't what you were asking about.

SMART for all disks looks fine.

My guess is connection issues. These are common when mucking about in the case. Check all connections, SATA and power, both ends, including splitters. Maybe consider changing SATA cable.

Let me know if you want to work on those other things.

7 minutes ago, trurl said:

Why have you allocated 50G to docker.img? 20G should be more than enough unless you have something misconfigured. Also your appdata, domains, system shares have files on the array. This will make dockers/VM keep array disks spinning since these files will be open, and docker/VM performance will be impacted by parity updates.

Yes please, I thought the Mover moved the files off the array to the Cache when I added it.

If I remember correctly I increased the docker img allocation because on one of my early installs of unraid, I had something messed up and there were logs writing to that image and it/I somehow trashed the entire install, once I figured out what was responsible for the logs and stopped. I increased the allocation out of paranoia. I didn't think it could hurt but I am sensing that I didn't think correctly?

Any thoughts as to why my drives keep disabling?  is there anything in the smart reports that I am missing?

Chas

3 minutes ago, kysdaddy said:

Any thoughts as to why my drives keep disabling?  is there anything in the smart reports that I am missing?

35 minutes ago, trurl said:

SMART for all disks looks fine.

My guess is connection issues. These are common when mucking about in the case. Check all connections, SATA and power, both ends, including splitters. Maybe consider changing SATA cable.

5 minutes ago, kysdaddy said:

Yes please, I thought the Mover moved the files off the array to the Cache when I added it.

Mover can't move open files, and the files are open all the time when Docker and VM services are enabled. Also, your domains share is actually set to be moved from cache to the array. There are some specific things that need to be done to get this all done. Let me know when parity rebuild is done and we can work on it.

i could be in trouble here. This is a remote machine. I access it online most of the time. I have someone on site that can help, but he is a ludite.

At this moment, the parity is valid with one parity drive disabled.

I am unclear on the order of fixes here. 

should I try to fix the second parity first?

I can have him shut down the system and check the drive caddys, that could be the problem. and then reboot. is this the first step?

Chas

24 minutes ago, kysdaddy said:

This is a remote machine. I access it online most of the time.

How are you accessing it? I don't see WireGuard plugin in your diagnostics. If using OpenVPN docker, for example, then there is also going to be some trouble fixing those other things I mentioned since you will have to disable dockers.

Ok, now I'm feeling pretty stupid. 

When the docker system and array are running I connect using letsencrypt.

I do have a unifi router with a vpn set up so I can access the local ip that way.

I just stopped the array on my local system and connected to the vpn on a laptop and had access, so I think I'll be ok. 

Sorry I forgot that I could reach it that way/

Chas

15 minutes ago, kysdaddy said:

I do have a unifi router with a vpn set up so I can access the local ip that way.

I just stopped the array on my local system and connected to the vpn on a laptop and had access, so I think I'll be ok. 

👍

1 hour ago, kysdaddy said:

should I try to fix the second parity first?

yes. As for getting someone else to check your connections I will let you decide. Since you don't need the capacity of a third drive yet you might wait to add that later. I always say each additional disk is an additional point of failure.

Just an update.

I have reset the 4 needed caddies, ensured that all for screws were tight, followed the directions to enable the failed parity disk. currently the Parity-Sync/Data-Rebuild in progress. with about 7 hrs remaining.

I will reach out tomorrow for the next steps.

Thank you again.

Chas

3 minutes ago, kysdaddy said:

Sure here it is, and thank you for your response, however constructor is the one that mentioned earlier that there were some errors, not sure if I have made an error in assistance protocol as well. If I have I apologize, the last thing that I want it to be "That Guy" 

tower-diagnostics-20200818-1027.zip 99.83 kB · 0 downloads

You are fine, @trurl, "constructor" as you call him, is probably going to step back in and continue, but having diagnostics from the current condition is always helpful, as things have definitely changed since you posted the last set of diagnostics files.

We are pretty much all volunteer around here, and step in and out as we get a chance. Your posting the diagnostics saves the time of his asking when he gets back.

If he doesn't step back in for a day or so, feel free to bump the thread by posting a reply here.