StarTech 4 Port PCIe SATA III Controller Card

Good Day

Haven't fully built my 1st Unraid .. aiming at  10 Sata III drives - I have are 8x 4Tb WD Reds with 2x 250Gb SSD's for cache

I also have Motherboard Asus Z97-K with 6 /Sata III -  either i5 4690 or G3258 intel cpu's  -  2x 4 Gb DDR3 1600 - Antec P100 or Three Hundred Two case

in Australia most Sata Cards mentioned in this forum need to be either imported or are hard to get 

Any ideas about a StarTech 4 Port PCIe SATA III Controller Card - Model No. PEXSAT34RH  - the Chipset is Marvell  88SE9230 ?

it's readily available down under in Australia at about $140-200 aud

Would it need any special configuration work or is it plug and play ?

Any help would be much appreciated

Extra info on the Star Tech:

The PEXSAT34RH 4-Port PCI Express 2.0 SATA Controller Card with HyperDuo adds 4 AHCI SATA III ports to a computer through a PCIe slot (x2), delivering multiple internal 6Gbps connections for high-performance hard drives and Solid State Drives (SSDs).

Featuring HyperDuo technology, the SATA card offers SSD auto-tiering which lets you balance the performance advantages of SSD storage with the cost-effectiveness and large capacity of standard hard drives. By combining SSD and HDD drives into a single volume (up to 3 SSD + 1 HDD), HyperDuo discreetly works in the background to identify and move frequently accessed files to the faster SSD drive(s) for improved data throughput - up to 80% of SSD performance! (Note: The HyperDuo automatic storage tiering feature is compatible with computers that use a BIOS.)

The PCIe SATA controller card supports Port Multiplier (PM), enabling multiple SATA drives to be connected to one port over a single cable, for a total of 7 drives (Up to 4 drives through PM on one port, and a single drive to the remaining 3 ports). Plus, the SATA controller card offers an effective hardware RAID solution, with native RAID (0, 1, 1+0) support.

Kind Regards

Pokey

Gee .. searching "StarTech 4 Port PCIe SATA III" when I should have searched: Marvell  88SE9230 chipset

thanks .. I'll steer clear off any Marvell chipsets then !

Trouble is good PC shops in Australia only sell StarTech or a cheaper Skymaster PCIe SATA III Card .. both Marvell chipsets 

that's if they even sell sata cards .. I might buy one from US or UK then

I'm not real handy when it comes to in-depth configurations on motherboards

for my setup .. any recommendations for the best sata card to use ? 

hopefully plug n play

Thanks

this is what I'm thinking of going for LSI SAS 9201-8i

I've read elsewhere that the driver for this card misses out on features like s.m.a.r.t. & showing the serial number of the drives?

I can't find secondhand break out cables, new are a fair bit dearer than the card

1 - would it be essential to update the TI mode firmware ?

2 - can't find any documentation on cables, are these okay?

StarTech Mini-SAS to SATA Cable, 1x SFF-8087 Plug, 4x SATA Female

https://www.startech.com/au/Cables/Drive/SAS/50cm-Serial-Attached-SCSI-SAS-Cable-SFF-8087-to-4x-Latching-SATA~SAS8087S450

sas8087s450.main.jpg

Edited by pokes
clarity

Hi Pokes, check out this site below. Note that it may take a while at the moment for items to get to Australia. The cost is perhaps a bit more, but you will know it works and is not a Chinese fake. 😕

regards, Peterg (Melbourne. Australia)

Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT Mode for ZFS FreeNAS unRAID

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-H310-6Gbps-SAS-HBA-w-LSI-9211-8i-P20-IT-Mode-for-ZFS-FreeNAS-unRAID/162834659601?hash=item25e9b3b911:g:UxcAAOSwWrxcPvQv

Also, take a look at:

Edited by peterg23
  • 4 weeks later...