Realtek RTL8156 drivers

Yup, the 8125 is already available. One of my systems is using this chipset since 6.8.2.

Tried the 6.9 beta, but unfortunately, my RTL8156 NIC isn’t being discovered. If the drivers are already available and it should work, let me know. I might have to do some troubleshooting then..

Your system only reports two Intel controllers

00:1f.6 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I219-LM

02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Wireless 3165

Is your RealTek NIC an add-on? If so try a different PCI slot.

Ps. No need to post the syslog separately, everything (and more) is included in the diagnostics.

21 minutes ago, bonienl said:

No need to post the syslog separately, everything (and more) is included in the diagnostics.

My bad, thought it would be easier to read, as you wouldn't have to download the zip to access the logs. Post hidden.

22 minutes ago, bonienl said:

Is your RealTek NIC an add-on? If so try a different PCI slot.

Yeah, it's an add-on. Kinda. I'm running UnRAID on a NUC, so no PCI slots. The NIC I'm trying to add is a usb to ethernet adapter. The 2 intel NICs reported are the onboard LAN and WiFi.

For troubleshooting purposes, I tried a different USB port (tried them all), no luck though. I also tested another USB NIC with the RTL8153 chipset, which works fine. Finally, tested Debian on the system I'm troubleshooting with the RTL8156 NIC, to be sure the adapter isn't faulty. It shows up (thankfully) within Debian.

If the NIC doesn't show up in the syslog, could it be the case of a missing driver? Should it even pop up if there's no driver present to support it?

For what it's worth, here's the adapter I'm trying to get working:

https://www.club-3d.com/en/detail/2467/usb_3.1_gen1_type_a_to_rj45_2.5gbps/

Your controller is indeed found as a USB attached device.

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0bda:8156 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. USB 10/100/1G/2.5G LAN

but no drivers are loaded, I am not sure if the reason is because it is a USB attached device, though likely it is a missing driver.

Edited by bonienl
22 minutes ago, bonienl said:

I am not sure if the reason is because it is a USB attached device, though likely it is a missing driver.

Yeah, probably. Tested a USB attached device with the RTL8153 chipset, which works fine.

Well, in that case my feature request still stands, I guess. I'd love for the drivers of this chipset to be added, so I can use it within UnRAID : ) 

Edited by HondSchaap
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I'd like to bump for the same request, please. 2020 might just be the year multi-gig ethernet becomes practical, and multi-gig USB NICs are like the final piece of my file frenzy puzzle. I don't have an available PCI-E slot (that I'm willing to liberate) so this would be great! I tried using console to install the drivers manually but I guess it's not as easy as I'd thought.

Count me in too, I'm also out of PCI-E slots until I do a hardware refresh -- ESXi just added support via their USB Network Fling for the RTL8156 chipset so I'm a little sad it's not working in Unraid yet.  I have not attempted to build a custom Unraid kernel, but I'm guessing that would likely be the other way to get this working as the RTL8156 driver is a kernel module.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm also waiting for Unraid-Support for USB-2,5GBit NIC with RTL8156 Chipset.

My Server runs at 10GBit, and I would love to connect my 3-VM-Workstation using this USB-NIC, since all PCIe Slots are occupied by 3xGPU, 2xUSB, 1xSAT 🙂
Tried
6.9.0-beta29 - no luck, RTL8156 is still not recognized...

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2020 at 12:48 PM, peter76 said:

I'm also waiting for Unraid-Support for USB-2,5GBit NIC with RTL8156 Chipset.

My Server runs at 10GBit, and I would love to connect my 3-VM-Workstation using this USB-NIC, since all PCIe Slots are occupied by 3xGPU, 2xUSB, 1xSAT 🙂
Tried
6.9.0-beta29 - no luck, RTL8156 is still not recognized...

Driver was added in -beta29, please post diagnostics.zip

• Like 1

Driver is crashing while initializing the device:

Oct 11 17:45:47 Ryzen3700X kernel: r8152 2-1:1.0 (unnamed net_device) (uninitialized): netif_napi_add() called with weight 256
Oct 11 17:45:47 Ryzen3700X kernel: ------------[ cut here ]------------
Oct 11 17:45:47 Ryzen3700X kernel: r8152 2-1:1.0: couldn't register the device
Oct 11 17:45:47 Ryzen3700X kernel: r8152: probe of 2-1:1.0 failed with error -22

Likely a driver issue, assuming the NIC works correctly for example in a Windows machine.

Here is where we got the Linux driver:

https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/network-interface-controllers-10-100-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-usb-3-0-software

Note the description "... for kernel up to 5.6".  Unraid OS 6.9 is on 5.8 kernel.  Realtek is notorious for lagging behind stable Linux kernels.   My suggestion is to ask them to update their driver.

Edit: to clarify: we are including that latest driver in Unraid OS because it does compile without error with the 5.8 kernel.  But just because there are no compilation errors doesn't mean it will function properly.  We've seen this with other drivers too, e.g., Highpoint r750.

• Thanks 1

Hi,

Same for me and also thanks for analyzing.

Let's review that with Realtek support then and let's see what's coming.

Oct 19 23:35:24 VirtualNas kernel: r8152 4-1:1.0: couldn't register the device
Oct 19 23:35:24 VirtualNas kernel: r8152: probe of 4-1:1.0 failed with error -22

[edit] I can get the RTL8152 working with Archlinux @kernel 5.4. while 5.8 looks like to be a no-go indeed.

Edited by ParHelia
On 10/12/2020 at 9:50 AM, limetech said:

Here is where we got the Linux driver:

https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/network-interface-controllers-10-100-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-usb-3-0-software

Note the description "... for kernel up to 5.6".  Unraid OS 6.9 is on 5.8 kernel.  Realtek is notorious for lagging behind stable Linux kernels.   My suggestion is to ask them to update their driver.

Edit: to clarify: we are including that latest driver in Unraid OS because it does compile without error with the 5.8 kernel.  But just because there are no compilation errors doesn't mean it will function properly.  We've seen this with other drivers too, e.g., Highpoint r750.

Tom, it looks like there's an updated linux driver published 10/19/2020 on the page you linked -- maybe they've made some changes that will help?