Realtek RTL8156 drivers

Greatly appreciated after unsuccessfully trying the qnap 5 Gbit.

Only issue that I had was the 2.5gbit link going down in unraid (switch showing that is up).

After re-doing my network setup, removing the network cfg and network rules from the usb, I have now full 2.5gbit using the active backup bonding mode together with my 1gbit Mainboard network.

Let's hope that stays after the reboot :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, everyone,

I am running UNRAID 6.9.2 on an HPE MicroServer Gen10 Plus. I have a USB 2.5GbE from asustor with an RTL8156 chipset. When I plug the NIC into the server, it recognizes it as a USB NIC (visible on the network setting page), but it is in a "shutdown (inactive)" state. I tried to bring it up from WebUI and ifconfig, it shows a state UP, but I can't get an IP address from my router (cable plugged in).

The NIC is working both on Windows and the latest TrueNAS SCALE 22.02 (kernel version is 5.14, I think). Does anyone have any clue about this situation? Should I wait for 6.10 to release (it should have a newer kernel)?

I attached my diagnostics here. Thank you for answering my question!

mircoserver-diagnostics-20220331-0922.zip

Edited by Junru Zhong
Fix typos and grammar
3 hours ago, Junru Zhong said:

Should I wait for 6.10 to release (it should have a newer kernel)?

From my perspective you can safely upgrade to 6.10.0-rc4, data loss is very uncommon even on the RC versions.

Please keep in mind that RC versions, at least in the case for Unraid, are tested really really really well and only have sometimes minor issues (rc4 has a UI bug that highlights a bit too much in the WebUI).

Also don't forget that you can always go back to 6.9.2 if something isn't working for you. :)

21 hours ago, ich777 said:

From my perspective you can safely upgrade to 6.10.0-rc4, data loss is very uncommon even on the RC versions.

Please keep in mind that RC versions, at least in the case for Unraid, are tested really really really well and only have sometimes minor issues (rc4 has a UI bug that highlights a bit too much in the WebUI).

Also don't forget that you can always go back to 6.9.2 if something isn't working for you. :)

Hi ich777

Thanks for the reply! I upgrade to 6.10.0-rc4 with no issue, but the USB NIC is not recognized by OS this time

Previously on 6.9.2, I can see the the NIC shows up in boot up log. Those lines start with "r8152". And an ethernet device is shown on network settings as well as `ifconfig`. Now I am at 6.10, I can't find a Realtek NIC device registered from the start up log, nither ethernet device in the system.

I prefer to stay at 6.10. Can anyone help to find out a solution? My diagnostics and syslog are attached below.

Thank you very much!

mircoserver-diagnostics-20220401-1113.zip mircoserver-syslog-20220401-0313.zip

• Like 1
On 4/1/2022 at 4:21 AM, Junru Zhong said:

Hi ich777

Thanks for the reply! I upgrade to 6.10.0-rc4 with no issue, but the USB NIC is not recognized by OS this time

Previously on 6.9.2, I can see the the NIC shows up in boot up log. Those lines start with "r8152". And an ethernet device is shown on network settings as well as `ifconfig`. Now I am at 6.10, I can't find a Realtek NIC device registered from the start up log, nither ethernet device in the system.

I prefer to stay at 6.10. Can anyone help to find out a solution? My diagnostics and syslog are attached below.

Thank you very much!

mircoserver-diagnostics-20220401-1113.zip 84.26 kB · 3 downloads mircoserver-syslog-20220401-0313.zip 25.43 kB · 0 downloads

Looks like the usb NIC you have needs and is not included in RC4 @limetech can this be added if not already requested?

https://linux-hardware.org/index.php?id=usb:0bda-8156

cat .config | grep CONFIG_USB_RTL8152
# CONFIG_USB_RTL8152 is not set

Edited by SimonF
  • Like 1
20 hours ago, SimonF said:

Looks like the usb NIC you have needs and is not included in RC4 @limetech can this be added if not already requested?

https://linux-hardware.org/index.php?id=usb:0bda-8156

cat .config | grep CONFIG_USB_RTL8152
# CONFIG_USB_RTL8152 is not set

This is covered by the OOT driver but I've already requested the in tree driver for the next Unraid version.

I'm not too sure if there are still speed issues with the in tree driver.

12 hours ago, Uncle09 said:

Same with my RTL 8156.

This chipset is also covered by the in tree driver.

If someone is able to test a custom bzmodules for RC4 feel free to contact me and I will create one to test if there are still speed issues.

@Junru Zhong is currently doing a backup task that will take a few days and is because of this not able to test it..

• Like 1
5 hours ago, ich777 said:

This is covered by the OOT driver but I've already requested the in tree driver for the next Unraid version.

I'm not too sure if there are still speed issues with the in tree driver.

This chipset is also covered by the in tree driver.

If someone is able to test a custom bzmodules for RC4 feel free to contact me and I will create one to test if there are still speed issues.

@Junru Zhong is currently doing a backup task that will take a few days and is because of this not able to test it..

I have only one 2.5GbE NIC and my router have one 2.5GbE port only (an upgrade is planned). Maybe my configuration is not suitable for a speed test. It will be better if someone else has multiple 2.5 GbE devices and/or a switch can help.

• Like 1

I upgraded from RC2 to RC4 and network went corrupt. Downgrade to RC2 the problem stayed. So i created new usb sticks with demo version and startet with 6.9.2 -> RC2 -> RC4. Confirmed, with RC4 the USB 2.5gbit NIC is no more recognized.

RTL8156B Realtek Semiconductor Corp. USB 10/100/1G/2.5G LAN

• 5 weeks later...

I was a happy user of RTL8156 2.5Gb USB NIC (with around 280MB/s connection).

However, since I upgraded to 6.10 rc3, unRAID cannot recognize it anymore and I have to switch back to slow on-board 1Gb NIC and the connection speed was decrease to around 120MB/s..

People here said the driver for RTL8156 were removed since rc3 and has already request limetech to add it back.

So I wait and try rc4, rc5 and now rc7, the driver is still missing in the build.

May I know why not to do so?

And please put it back in future build.

1 hour ago, mwpmo said:

I was a happy user of RTL8156 2.5Gb USB NIC (with around 280MB/s connection).

However, since I upgraded to 6.10 rc3, unRAID cannot recognize it anymore and I have to switch back to slow on-board 1Gb NIC and the connection speed was decrease to around 120MB/s..

People here said the driver for RTL8156 were removed since rc3 and has already request limetech to add it back.

So I wait and try rc4, rc5 and now rc7, the driver is still missing in the build.

May I know why not to do so?

And please put it back in future build.

I was keep watching this issue for a while. I was upgrade from 6.9.2 to 6.10.0rc4, but the driver is not included in rc4. I noticed from the rc5 changelog, r8152 driver was added back to rc5, but the NIC still can't recoganized by unRAID.

*RTL8156B uses r8152 driver.