Samsung Fit Plus

pokes

I bought that exact one, it did not work so I used an older Cruzer Glide 8 gig I have had for a long time.  You might be able to get it to work for you, but honestly I would just do what trurl suggested.  My Fit kept getting hung on installation, I tried the work arounds and it still would not boot. 

Darn .. my only concern was a valid GUID

I bought one a while back because I thought it was a bullet proof / last for ever type of USB 

Samsung said:

"Up to 72 hrs in seawater 1,500 gravitational acceleration - withstands -25°C to 85°C operating -40°C to 85°C non-operating - up to 15,000 gauss (equal to MRI) - 50 Roentgen (equal to airport X-ray machines)"

13 hours ago, trurl said:

those very small USB3 drives are prone to overheating

I know that the SanDisk Ultra Fit is prone to get very hot  ..  that might be why SirReal63 's Fit kept getting hung on installation ?

Thanks for the tip

On 7/25/2020 at 5:13 PM, pokes said:

SanDisk ... Cruzer  Blade USB Flash Drive

Just got a few 16gb's @ $5.79 from Officeworks

came ?th/9 in test 

jumped out of the gates okay, but only plodded along & their flash faded on the home turn

but at these prices & being in the 2.0 class, they present good value even if they finish at the back of the field  

On 7/24/2020 at 10:49 PM, pokes said:

Samsung Fit Plus 32Gb USB 3.1 Flash Drive

Have 1 of these @ $22 from Jerry Harvey's stock

Blue ribbon 3rd in test

close 3rd behind the 2nd place getter, a fit & speedy flash stayer, it's 3.1 class being the only query

4 hours ago, pokes said:

Have 1 of these @ $22 from Jerry Harvey's stock

Blue ribbon 3rd in test

close 3rd behind the 2nd place getter, a fit & speedy flash stayer, it's 3.1 class being the only query

There was a lot of complaining back when whatever organisation that decides USB naming picked that 3.1 gen1 /gen2 thingie and confused the crap out of everyone. Basically:

• USB 3.2 gen 1x1 = USB 3.1 gen 1 = USB 3.0 = "real" USB 3.0
    • If it doesn't say USB 3.1 gen 2 explicitly then it's gen 1
    • Most Type A devices are gen 1
  • USB 3.2 gen 2x1 = USB 3.1 gen 2 = "real" USB 3.1
  • USB 3.2 gen 1x2 / 2x2 = "real" USB 3.2

Also running USB 3.0 stick on USB 2.0 port is sufficient to reduce chance of overheating.

If only anecdotal, I have been using the same USB 3.0 micro stick (Sandisk Ultra Fit) ever since my very first Unraid server years ago.

On 8/4/2020 at 10:54 PM, testdasi said:

running USB 3.0 stick on USB 2.0 port is sufficient to reduce chance of overheating

great idea !! .. although it did very well in this whip them until they drop dead race .. the Samsung Fit Plus would last even longer