[SOLVED] R720xd as unRAID server, connect R510 for additional storage?

Hey guys,

I have an R720xd running unRAID currently.  I also have an R510 that's otherwise unused, but I'm wondering if there's some way to connect them so that I can use the extra drive bays from the R510 to add to the array on the R710.

If that's a stupid question, please let me know.  Just hoping to make the most of the hardware I have rather than pay for another solution.

Edited by Whiskeyjack

Depends on the blackplane, you may

- Connect in SAS, expander to expander

- SATA if cable can shorter then 1m

- Remove the blackplane and direct connect to HDD.

Of course, unplug the power for mainboard, make PSU always on or remote power on.

Edited by Benson
  • Like 1
21 minutes ago, Benson said:

Depends on the blackplane, you may

- Connect in SAS, expander to expander

- SATA if cable can shorter then 1m

- Remove the blackplane and direct connect to HDD.

Of course, unplug the power for mainboard, make PSU always on or remote power on.

Thanks for the reply! 

If I'm understanding correctly, if I were to go with the SAS expander route, I would:

1.  Put an expander in each server (like these)

2. Connect the two SAS expanders

3. Connect the existing HBA from the R720 into the expander

4. Connect the two backplane SAS connectors from the R720 to the expander

5. Connect the two backplane SAS connectors from the R510 to the expander

...and I'm good to go?

As for your last suggestion, what do you mean by unplugging the power from the mainboard?  I'm assuming you mean pull power from the motherboard on the R510, but how would the drives receive power?

Edited by Whiskeyjack
3 minutes ago, Whiskeyjack said:

...and I'm good to go?

It depends on what actual hardware you have, if both side have expander blackplane, spare port, you may simple conect blackplane to blackpkane ... ( also need consider the bandwidth )

9 minutes ago, Whiskeyjack said:

I'm assuming you mean pull power from the motherboard on the R510, but how would the drives receive power?

Yes, pull power from mainbiard. I assume there are some power wire which direct connect to R510 blackpkane to the PSU.

Pls provide more info. and photo.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Benson said:

It depends on what actual hardware you have, if both side have expander blackplane, spare port, you may simple conect blackplane to blackpkane ... ( also need consider the bandwidth )

Yes, pull power from mainbiard. I assume there are some power wire which direct connect to R510 blackpkane to the PSU.

Pls provide more info. and photo.

Oh, I see! I opened the R510 to take some pictures and I see that the PSU runs to a small board that then runs to the mobo and backplane.

Perfect, thank you!

• 10 months later...
On 7/24/2020 at 9:12 PM, Whiskeyjack said:

Hey guys,

I have an R720xd running unRAID currently.  I also have an R510 that's otherwise unused, but I'm wondering if there's some way to connect them so that I can use the extra drive bays from the R510 to add to the array on the R710.

If that's a stupid question, please let me know.  Just hoping to make the most of the hardware I have rather than pay for another solution.

How did you get in raid to install did you use bios or eufi when I try I can a memory allocation error