Setting up a file share server to be accessed over the internet

I am looking for a way to setup unRaid that will allow my friends and I to upload video game footage (10-20GBs or larger) to a central server on one of our home networks.  I would also like to host a VM Where we can remotely edit footage when necessary.  

If possible I would like to avoid everyone having to install new software on their PC but if we must then it is what it is.  

My guess is that this is probably going to require an OwnCloud or NexxtCloud Docker and their software.  I am just curious if there is another way?

As far as file uploading, yeah any of the dockers would work.. Nextcloud, Owncloud, whatever... but yes anything is going to require some form of end-user software... you can't just magically upload something, unless it was website based which might not be the best solution for large files.

You can host a VM and have everything contained within the VM, and allow remote access to that VM (with an app like TeamViewer) for whatever else you want to do ... video editing software, etc..  you could set up an ftp server in the VM to upload the files to which might be easier and more straight forward than nextcloud/whatever...

I wouldn't expect great performance / ease to edit videos in a VM though... video editing generally is an intensive process even on high end hardware.. a virtualized VM is just making things difficult.  Not impossible but not great.

23 hours ago, Energen said:

I wouldn't expect great performance / ease to edit videos in a VM though... video editing generally is an intensive process even on high end hardware.. a virtualized VM is just making things difficult.  Not impossible but not great.

Throw remote networking into this picture and VM performance is likely to be a minor problem.