Unraid with Windows 10 VM (OR) Windows 10 with Unraid VM?

Hello, new potential Unraid user here.

I've used two separate PC's for almost 10 years, a daily/gaming PC, and a NAS/HTPC/PLEX box, I've used Snapraid to handle parity on the NAS box.

After a lot of thought, I've decided to separate the PC's, I'm making a new dedicated Gaming PC and combining my Daily PC with the NAS/HTPC/PLEX box. I've put a *lot* of thought into this, and it's the best scenario for my situation.

I was looking for some input for people in a similar situation, I'm curious the CONS of running Unraid in a VM under Windows 10 vs running a Windows 10 VM under Unraid. I'm not in love with the idea of my daily Windows box being a VM, I'm sure there are CONS to that as well.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

34 minutes ago, vanel said:

Hello, new potential Unraid user here.

I've used two separate PC's for almost 10 years, a daily/gaming PC, and a NAS/HTPC/PLEX box, I've used Snapraid to handle parity on the NAS box.

After a lot of thought, I've decided to separate the PC's, I'm making a new dedicated Gaming PC and combining my Daily PC with the NAS/HTPC/PLEX box. I've put a *lot* of thought into this, and it's the best scenario for my situation.

I was looking for some input for people in a similar situation, I'm curious the CONS of running Unraid in a VM under Windows 10 vs running a Windows 10 VM under Unraid. I'm not in love with the idea of my daily Windows box being a VM, I'm sure there are CONS to that as well.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

What do you use your daily PC for? Without knowing that it's hard to assess the cons of using VM.

Personally, I can see the cons with gaming under a VM but I really don't quite see any major cons with a "daily" VM.

In terms of running Unraid as a VM in Windows, I attempted exactly that and reported the findings in my build log.

Have a look to see if it would help you. The fact that I gave it a serious look but abandoned the idea is the TL;DR.

• 2 weeks later...

My suggestion is to run unraid as a VM inside windows. I currently use this and I like the setup. 

I'm using Vmware and Plop iso to boot from the Unraid USB. You can also edit the vmx file to automatically connect the Unraid USB drive to the VM client.