[SOLVED] Restoring flash backup with config changes

Hey all,

Today I found that my server had become unresponsive and I was unable to perform a graceful shutdown either via web interface or over SSH. So once I got home I had to do a hard reset. Once the system restarted I found that the boot mount was no longer able to be mounted on startup. I plugged the usb drive into another machine and tried to copy the config directory but unfortunately the config files and all sub-directories are returning CRC errors when attempting to copy. On a whim I also tried to image the drive but that was unsuccessful.

I have a flash backup from roughly about a month ago but since then I have upgraded the 2 parity drives and moved the old drives into the array so the old config is no longer "plug and play". It appears that I forgot to take another back up after this hardware change 😧

Is it safe to assign the drives to their required slots on the main tab or will that be putting data at risk on those drives? If so what is the best approach?

** Update ** - Was able to get the what looks to be most of the config files from the root config directory and sub-directories. What config file assigns the disk id to their role in the array / parity?

** Update 2 ** I've just read on forums that restoring from an older backup with mismatching drive configuration is not a good idea. Is the best approach to proceed with a fresh install of unraid? If so how are you able to "import" the existing data on drives?

Thanks!

Edited by Trigonal