Running Unraid as Hyper-V guest?

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

I’ve been trying to setup Unraid as a guest VM in Hyper-V Server 2019. I’m using the USB passthrough trick where you set a USB hard drive to offline and attach it directly to a VM in Hyper-V, which works and Unraid boots to the login prompt.

Unraid doesn’t seem to recognise the virtual network adaptors however. I’ve tried both a Gen 1 VM with the Legacy and non-legacy network adapter and a Gen 2 VM which only supports the newer network adapter.

After searching through the forums I found some old threads from 2015 that indicated it may be due to missing network drivers and that they were added to Unraid 6 Beta 12. Is there any way to install these drivers? Thanks.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

@mattie112 I've created a bootable VHDX with a copy of my flash drive's contents. unraid's boot menu displays, and unraid will start to boot, but it fails while creating the virtual file system with these messages:

/dev/root: Can't open blockdev
VFS: Cannot open root device "(null)" or unknown-block(0,0): error -6
Please append a correct "root=" boot option: here are the available partitions:
[no partitions are listed]
Kernel panic - no syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

How were you able to boot an unraid guest under hyper-v?

Thanks,

- Eric

@omnicorp

I’m using the USB passthrough trick where you set a USB hard drive to offline and attach it directly to a VM in Hyper-V

How does unraid verify the drive's "signature" against the key file without being a flash drive?

Thanks,

- Eric