Running Unraid as Hyper-V guest?

I’ve been trying to setup Unraid as a guest VM in Hyper-V Server 2019. I’m using the USB passthrough trick where you set a USB hard drive to offline and attach it directly to a VM in Hyper-V, which works and Unraid boots to the login prompt.

Unraid doesn’t seem to recognise the virtual network adaptors however. I’ve tried both a Gen 1 VM with the Legacy and non-legacy network adapter and a Gen 2 VM which only supports the newer network adapter.

After searching through the forums I found some old threads from 2015 that indicated it may be due to missing network drivers and that they were added to Unraid 6 Beta 12. Is there any way to install these drivers? Thanks.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

@mattie112 I've created a bootable VHDX with a copy of my flash drive's contents. unraid's boot menu displays, and unraid will start to boot, but it fails while creating the virtual file system with these messages:

/dev/root: Can't open blockdev
VFS: Cannot open root device "(null)" or unknown-block(0,0): error -6
Please append a correct "root=" boot option: here are the available partitions:
[no partitions are listed]
Kernel panic - no syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

How were you able to boot an unraid guest under hyper-v?

Thanks,

- Eric

• 1 year later...
On 4/30/2021 at 8:13 PM, eweitzman said:

@mattie112 I've created a bootable VHDX with a copy of my flash drive's contents. unraid's boot menu displays, and unraid will start to boot, but it fails while creating the virtual file system with these messages:

/dev/root: Can't open blockdev
VFS: Cannot open root device "(null)" or unknown-block(0,0): error -6
Please append a correct "root=" boot option: here are the available partitions:
[no partitions are listed]
Kernel panic - no syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

How were you able to boot an unraid guest under hyper-v?

Thanks,

- Eric

I fixed this by increasing the amount of RAM allocated to the VM.

But getting stuck with it unable to detect a device with the volume label "UNRAID". This is very frustrating.

• 1 year later...

Hi, 

I want also to set up Unraid as VM in Hyper-v mainly just as Plex music and picture server and home automation. So data is not very important. The important stuff will be backed up. 

Can you help me how to convert the unraid usb into vhdx. How did you do that? I want to get this right the first time. I am trying to achieve that I was not successful at all. 

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...