Using Unraid as a DD

This is probably going to be a super simple/stupid question, but if I'm wanting to use my Unraid server as a daily, and keep my monitors/peripherals/etc on a different floor of my house, how would I accomplish that? Would I need ~100ft cables to route through the walls? Any suggestions/recommendations are highly appreciated.

edit; Has the issue with Ryzen-based servers been fixed?

Edited by uktz
2 minutes ago, Gragorg said:

I run my server headless (no monitor) and no keyboard.  Anything you need to do can be accessed through the WebGui from any computer in the house on the same network.

I'm trying to eliminate computers from my network though while having Unraid be my daily with VMs available. I'm just trying to figure how to best go about setting up monitors/keyboard located on a different floor than the server.

You can get a KVM to IP converter.  This will route the USB/HDMI to CAT5/6/etc IP traffic.  Install one on your server and another at the remote location and connect them via the network. 

But keep in mind that some don't play very nicely with regular IP traffic so do some homework

and the fix for the ryzen based servers are in that link (don't overclock/exceed RAM timings, BIOS settings)

Edited by civic95man
2 minutes ago, civic95man said:

You can get a KVM to IP converter.  This will route the USB/HDMI to CAT5/6/etc IP traffic.  Install one on your server and another at the remote location and connect them via the network. 

But keep in mind that some don't play very nicely with regular IP traffic so do some homework

I've got my server set to it's own static IP, as well as it's own subnet. Am I going to see any issues with this setup?

Just now, uktz said:

my server set to it's own static IP, as well as it's own subnet. Am I going to see any issues with this setup?

I've honestly never used one of these before but it is my next planned "upgrade" so that I can keep my server in a cooler part of the house and out of the way.  AFAIK, they just sit on your network (plugged into a switch or directly connected to each other) and are "invisible" to other devices.  I have heard of them slowing down and/or halting the network so if that is a concern then maybe run a dedicated CAT6 just for that.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, civic95man said:

I've honestly never used one of these before but it is my next planned "upgrade" so that I can keep my server in a cooler part of the house and out of the way.  AFAIK, they just sit on your network (plugged into a switch or directly connected to each other) and are "invisible" to other devices.  I have heard of them slowing down and/or halting the network so if that is a concern then maybe run a dedicated CAT6 just for that.

Just so I understand a little bit better, basically, I'll have the IP KVM upstairs, dedicated CAT6 cable to it, and I can plug in all of my peripherals  to it, and control my server from a different location in my home? Now to find a KVM with display ports that's not $1500.. 😅

1 minute ago, uktz said:

Now to find a KVM with display ports that's not $1500.. 

http://www.avaccess.com/c803.html

I would do more research on that one but it's $160 on amazon in the US.

2 minutes ago, uktz said:

Just so I understand a little bit better, basically, I'll have the IP KVM upstairs, dedicated CAT6 cable to it, and I can plug in all of my peripherals  to it, and control my server from a different location in my home?

Yes, you plug the "transmitter" into the USB and HDMI on your computer.  Then plug the "receiver" into your monitor and USB devices (or would it be plugging your USB/Monitor into the receiver 🤔) at the remote location and connect the two with CAT6 cable. 

Now you "could" connect them to your existing network but as I said, you are sharing bandwidth with everything else in the house.

• Like 1