Support check

Hi guys,

Do you see any problems (minor/major) or future concerns with the following build with Multi OS environment?
I want to run Windows 10 (games, normal stuff) and Ubuntu (some things just work better natively than they do in WSL) in parallel.

1. Processor: Ryzen 3700X
  2. Motherboard: ASROCK B450 Steel Legend
  3. Graphic Card: ZOTAC RTX 2060 Super Mini
  4. Storage:
    1. CRUCIAL P1 500GB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD (CT500P1SSD8).
    2. 2 Other SATA SSDs
    3. 1 Other SATA HDD
  5. 2 monitors

Also, I was wondering what interface does Unraid provide for switching between the OS? Like is it a keyboard shortcut or native applications for both Windows / Linux which enable us to switch?

EDIT: 
Is it also possible to clone my existing OS drives onto Unraid? or Do I have to setup the OSes from scratch?

Edited by Sil3nt_One
  • 2 weeks later...

No expert in VMs but I see that you want to run both Win10 and Ubuntu in parallel. However, I do not think that it is possible to have two VMs running at the same time with the graphic card passedthrough.

That might be an issue.

Hopefully someone with more experience can shed some light on the possibilities.

On 7/30/2020 at 4:44 AM, Sil3nt_One said:

Also, I was wondering what interface does Unraid provide for switching between the OS? Like is it a keyboard shortcut or native applications for both Windows / Linux which enable us to switch?

Is it also possible to clone my existing OS drives onto Unraid? or Do I have to setup the OSes from scratch?

I think you misunderstand / not understand fully what Unraid is and what it does.  It is not a multi-OS hosting system in the sense that you're talking about with switching between OS at will.  I mean, you sort of can, but not like it seems you're thinking.

And yes, you can clone your existing Windows OS to run on an Unraid VM.. whether or not you get it to work properly is another story.

So here's the rundown, in case you're not clear on it.

• Unraid will run on your entire system.  Your motherboard, RAM, etc, all of that is dedicated to Unraid.  Unraid IS your system.
  • Unraid does not need the graphics card because once it loads the only thing that would be displayed on your screen is a console window.

• You can run any number of VMs (virtual machines) on Unraid that you wish, simultaneously, independently, whatever you want.  As long as you have enough RAM/CPU power to run them efficiently.

• You can pass your graphics card through to one running VM at a time.  This VM will have output to the monitor connected to the graphics card, but will be running as a virtual machine from within Unraid.  You can not have multiple VMs running from the same graphics card at the same time.

• In your scenario, you can have Windows running on the graphics card and you can have Ubuntu running and visible through a VNC window (web browser based).  Or vice versa.
  • In order to have Ubuntu display on the monitor you would have to stop the Windows VM and then start the Ubuntu VM with the GPU passed through.

I hope this helps.  Otherwise your hardware is fine for Unraid.

• Like 1