ProFTPd working via 4G but not WI-FI

Hi guys.

Have a strange issue. Set up ProFTPd as the final bit of my test for unRAID. So far I am very happy and think I will be plonking down my cash to purchase unRAID before the trial runs out. I just have to figure out the best way to backup my configuration in case the USB pen drive conks out and how to get ProFTPd to work.

My issue: I have created a VPN to my server using WireGuard. The VPN is working and I can access it from my PC and my iPhone. Using the VPN I can connect to my server and the running docker containers. I can connect to the ftp from my PC, over wi-fi. I can connect to the ftp from my iPhone, over 4G. In both cases, over the WireGuard VPN. However, when I switch the iPhone to a wi-fi network (even the same one the PC is using), I can no longer access the ftp from my iPhone. I can still access the server and the docker containers... just not the ftp. This forces me to use data from my plan, which is limited.

Any ideas?

Just to clarify...

PC to FTP over WI-FI with the VPN?

iPhone to FTP over 4G with the VPN.

All of your successful connections have been while using the VPN, right?

So did you open the ftp port on your router for access?  While you're on the VPN you have access to all the ports being used in Unraid, when you're off the VPN you're limited to what your router gives you access to.

3 minutes ago, Energen said:

Just to clarify...

PC to FTP over WI-FI with the VPN?

iPhone to FTP over 4G with the VPN.

All of your successful connections have been while using the VPN, right?

So did you open the ftp port on your router for access?  While you're on the VPN you have access to all the ports being used in Unraid, when you're off the VPN you're limited to what your router gives you access to.

I need to make some additional clarifications. I am connecting to my server at home, but I am currently at another location. So I am not connecting to my home wi-fi in this case.

Meaning I am connecting from my laptop, on wi-fi2 of router2 at location2 let's call it, over VPN, to the server at home location1 connected to router1 via ethernet1. Here I have ftp access no problem.

I am connecting from my iPhone, on wi-fi2 of router2 at location2, over VPN, to the server at home location1 connected to router1 via ethernet1. No connection that I can see.

I am connecting from my iPhone, on 4G from any location, over VPN, to the server at home location1 connected to router1 via ethernet1. Works fine.

However, I am connecting from my iPhone, on wi-fi1 of router1 at home location1, over VPN, to the server at home location1 connected to router1 via ethernet1. No connection that I can see also.

So it really looks like the combination of iPhone + WIFI + VPN is the problem.

I think you need to focus on the iPhone side of things and play with configuration settings on the iPhone..  I see something called On Demand Connection or whatever for Wireguard that may have to be used / not used / set differently for 4G and WiFi connections, like two separate settings profiles.

13 minutes ago, Energen said:

So it really looks like the combination of iPhone + WIFI + VPN is the problem.

I think you need to focus on the iPhone side of things and play with configuration settings on the iPhone..  I see something called On Demand Connection or whatever for Wireguard that may have to be used / not used / set differently for 4G and WiFi connections, like two separate settings profiles.

I just gave it a shot. Now neither 4G nor wi-fi work, with or without VPN :D 

Edit: back up on 4G after deactivating On Demand on both wi-fi and 4G and restarting the FTP apps.

Edited by NMGMarques