How do I identify the cause of very high CPU usage?

6 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Does it get better if you stop all writing to disk8? Dashboard CPU usage will show i/o load.

At the time, there was nothing that I'm aware of that was writing to Disk8.  I had a file downloading, but that had completed before I witnessed the CPU pinned for a minute or two. Unless, of course, it was caching at the server or drive level and the download had completed but it wasn't finished actually writing to disk.

As related to the other issue I posted (that you addressed a couple of hours ago), I think I'm going to swap my new 8TB drive for the current disk8, just to get it out of the mix and see what happens.

If all goes well in that scenario, I might consider adding this current disk8 back into the array, moving the contents of the 2, quite old, 4TB drives to it (controlled moves overnight where there should be nothing else going on) and excluding this particular drive from all shares to prevent additional writes from going to it.

Or, I may just bite the bullet, pick up another non-SMR drive, and replace the two 4TBs with that.

• 8 months later...

Has this issue been resolved? I have a similar situation where I don't have 100% utilization but it's like 80%Q for no reason. If I do a reboot, then it calms down so it's like something goes out of control over time. I've eliminated anything that I wasn't using plugin wise and all my docker apps are turned off right now except one. Very strange behavior for which top and htop are not help. What was the issue here? Thanks.

• 9 months later...