NMGMarques

How to properly backup the boot USB and configuration?

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi. I am pretty sure there are several ways to backup the USB boot drive and configuration. However, I cannot find a straight cut answer. This is the biggest issue still keeping me on the fence investing into purchasing unRAID. Booting from USB devices is in my experience a bad deal since they tend to crap out. 

I have now got to the point where I have my configuration pretty much like I want it. Now I need to make a backup of said USB, preferably to another USB created to replace the current one should it fail.

Also, question, if the USB drive fails, how do I transfer the license to the backup USB?

3 hours ago, NMGMarques said:

I have now got to the point where I have my configuration pretty much like I want it. Now I need to make a backup of said USB, preferably to another USB created to replace the current one should it fail.

So the easiest way is to use the CA Appdata Backup plugin.. it's got an option for the USB drive.

Or if for some reason you don't want to use that plugin, you can run a User Script (user scripts plugin :P) to backup your drive also.. I have mine going to a Dropbox share daily.

#!/bin/bash

/usr/bin/rsync -avXHg --delete /boot/ /mnt/user/Dropbox/unraid_BootUSB_Backup;
chmod 777 -R /mnt/user/Dropbox/unraid_BootUSB_Backup;

Either of these methods would keep your configuration up to date on a day by day basis.  There is also a Flash Backup button under the Main tab that gets you a backup file at the current point in time.

You can always click on the flash drive on the Main tab and select the option to download a backup as a zip file.

18 hours ago, Energen said:

So the easiest way is to use the CA Appdata Backup plugin.. it's got an option for the USB drive.

Or if for some reason you don't want to use that plugin, you can run a User Script (user scripts plugin :P) to backup your drive also.. I have mine going to a Dropbox share daily.

#!/bin/bash

/usr/bin/rsync -avXHg --delete /boot/ /mnt/user/Dropbox/unraid_BootUSB_Backup;
chmod 777 -R /mnt/user/Dropbox/unraid_BootUSB_Backup;

Either of these methods would keep your configuration up to date on a day by day basis.  There is also a Flash Backup button under the Main tab that gets you a backup file at the current point in time.

So if the current USB gives up the ghost, this will allow me to boot from another device without loss of data? And what about the registration? How does that get transfered?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, NMGMarques said:

So if the current USB gives up the ghost, this will allow me to boot from another device without loss of data? And what about the registration? How does that get transfered?

Unraid always requires that it be booted from a USB drive.  Making a backup of the current working USB drive will suffice to recover from a future USB failure. 

The easiest way to make this backup is  go to  Main  under the  Boot Device  section/tab, click on the blue 'Flash' listing under the 'Device' column.   Under the  Flash Device Settings   section/tab, you will find a "Flash Backup" button. 

You can find more details on the exact procedure for getting a new .key file for your new USB drive here:

https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/Changing_The_Flash_Device

LimeTech tries to make it very easy to get a replacement key.  If you have a proper backup of your Unraid boot drive, you can be up and running in a few minutes after a USB failure.     IF you should have a problem, you can always contact Customer Support.   That will take a bit longer but they have always been very accommodating to reasonable requests.  

Edited by Frank1940