Sacretagent 's first Build

My First Build :) (moved from pimp my rig thread and update to the template)

I had 3 computers running all three raid 5 on the onboard ich chip

but had lost already one time all my data on one computer and wanted to find something better without spending too much money and preferably with the hardware of my oldest computer...

first ran Ubuntu with a software raid but again due to my limited linux knowledge i did something wrong and lost some data 

so now Unraid seems to be the best solution as even with the single parity disk i can at most loose info from 2 disks and not from the whole array which is acceptable for me

Still hoping Tom will release beta 3 soon with double parity disk and support for the new drives

OS at time of building: Unraid 5 beta 2

CPU: Intel E 6550 Core 2 Duo

Motherboard: Asus P5b-Plus Vista Edition

comes with 6 sata ports on a ICH8 and 1 sata and 1 esata port on a JMicron controller

RAM: 3 GB Corsair DDR2 800

Case: NZXT Tempest (9 x 5.25")  has 8 internal 3.5" bays using 6 x 5.25"

case also has 2 HDD fans / 2 top fans/ 1 side fan and 1 rear exhaust fan

http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/crafted_series/tempest

Drive Cage(s): Kingwin alike 4 in 3's

Power Supply: Coolermaster 550

SATA Expansion Card(s):

2 x ADAPTEC AAR-1220SA

Cables: none special all delivered with hardware or that i could buy cheaply

Fans: no extra fans so far

Parity Drive: hitachi 1 TB 7200 HDS72101

Data Drives: 10 drives : a mix of 1 TB WD EARS/EADS/EACS unjumpered and 1 other hitachi 1 TB 7200

Cache Drive: Samsung 500 GB HD501LJ

Total Drive Capacity: 10 TB + 1TB P + 500GB C

Primary Use: Storage but installed SabNzbd, couchpotato and Sickbeard ... so only one machine needs to run 24/24 :)

Dislikes: i would prefer it to not be a compressed image .. flashdrives are big enough nowadays to run unraid uncompressed

Add Ons Used: Unmenu, SSH, SabNzbd, Couchpotato, Sickbeard (found a way to make them run under nobody user)

Future Plans:

1.removing the videocard from the x16 pcie and putting a PCI videocard on the mobo... found an old MGA 64mb pci card in my boxes ... hope it will work with unraid 

2. buy 3 x 5 in 3's hotswap (probably the icydocks) to replace the current bays so 15 drives in the case (the bays i have now i can use in my other cases)

3. buy another adaptec AAR-1220SA to add 2 drives

4. moving to a bigger case ... icube a11 (aka sharkoon12) or a lian li PC-P80 or my favorite Lian Li PC-343B... would like a case capable of 23 drives at least  (22 drives max now + 1 drive for the extra parity when Tom brings it out) which is not a server case ...

please populate the enclosure thread in hardware so when it is time to buy one i have a bigger choice and hopefully can find one here in Thailand

5. buying a supermicro OC-SASLP-MV8 sata controller so i can add last 8 drives that my mobo can support

Inside the thing: Front and Back

Photo0037.jpgPhoto0038.jpg

Front and Top

dedprecleardock.jpgPhoto0040.jpg

Side and front while in my desk running

Photo0041.jpgPhoto0042.jpg

attached the nextstar to the esata for the moment as i used it to preclear disks

will make nice pictures when i open the case to change the videocard this weekend

• 3 weeks later...

So got a few hours spare time today and decided to pull out the current video card to give space for a bigger sas/sata controller

and install the old PCI video card

meanwhile my esata to sata cable also arrived so finally all my drives are in the case :P

no more docking station on top of the machine :)

although this should have been like 20 minutes work, it went a bit sideways when after replacing the videocard and move the drives a bit around to put the hitachi's all in the 4 in 3 enclosure (they stay cooler there) when the unraid decided to not let me in remotely :P

could get into the console but no matter what i tried from the console i couldn't connect remotely(no GUI.. NO telnet)... could ping my laptop and other computers on my network though... so a network issue was ruled out quickly

so had to start some more intensive troubleshooting... now last reboot was like 8 days ago and i had still in mind what i added this week ... so i unplugged the flash drive added it to my laptop and first commented out the cache_dirs script

put back the flash drive ... rebooted and same issue

so went on for a while with a few other things ... till i remembered i had some issues with the mysql install so reverted that by deleting all mysql file in the packages folder EXCEPT from the conf file :P and HURAAY the thing booted completely and i could access my machine trough GUI to put the drives back onto their place in the unraid menu and start the array  :)

all by all i just wanted to say ... when you tinker at the machine ... write down what you did .. makes things easier to go back to :)

and keep an original GO backup somewhere ... :)

This weekend i hope to find the time to or find a few cheap 5 in3's or ask my father in law to make me the diy 5 in 3's LOL

he is handy with hardware ... he has the tools ;).. i already stripped the icute down to the bare metal ... and popped the rivets from the top to remove the 3.5" brackets ... will also saw out the plastic on top so that a 5 in 3 can be placed from the top slot...