[Solved] Unmountable No File System issue

Hi All,

I have an issue with my Unraid 6.8.2.  I think its two issues that happened back to back.  I hope I'm not screwed. Apologies for photos, lost my net connection and had to go log into unraid local GUI. 

1. After a server reboot my Disk 4 disappeared and came up as "Not Installed". 
    1. I have a 4 port Sata 3 PCIE Card that uses a Marvell controller and it has issues occasionally being detected by Unraid. 
    2. In the past I added "iommu=pt" in my syslinux and it fixed it mostly, but occasionally after a reboot  it does still disappear and show as Not Installed.
    3. 152348921_Annotation2020-08-01132612.thumb.jpg.c6bb84925df0475a1a2a68a6f06f8f9b.jpg
  2. I decided to clean shut down my server again to see if Disk 4 will come back.  
  3. Power back up
  4. After the reboot it takes forever to boot when I'm able to log in using the GUI Console I see a new Issue: Disk 1 says it's "Unmountable: No File System". It's giving me an option to Format it, which I don't believe I want to do.
    1. IMG_20200801_165253.thumb.jpg.a7c5f02b86e6fa35a1d615a58f993f15.jpg
  5. I stopped the array and clicked on Disk 1 and did a Files System Check "-nv", but not a repair.  At this point I am stuck with my knowledge and need Google/Help.

1601359766_NAS4x12Device_Disk1_XFS-nv_Screenshot.thumb.jpg.c6062257ec29c251d6ea6384a1261467.jpg

So thats the background,  I've attached my diagnostic file, after all the reboots (sorry for that).  I'd like to recover my data and array if possible.  I've ordered a different SATA3  PCI card that uses a ASMEDIA chip, so hopefully that resolves the Disk 4 issue.  

How about disk 1 loss of file system?  Can I get Disk 1 back?  Is there a certain order I should try and recover my system?  

I'm about to embark on my own searching exercise.  Thanks in advance. 

Edit1_20200802: I got a new Sata PCIe card and now Disk 4 is detected in Unassigned Devices.  I uploaded a new Diagnostic as I realized my other one was not current. 

nas4x12-diagnostics-20200802-2320_Stop_RestartArray.zip

Edited by drjUnraid
7 minutes ago, trurl said:

Please post screenshots instead of photos when possible, and I see you did post a screenshot at first so I don't know why these others are photos.

According to your diagnostics disk1 is mounted and has 9.6TB of files on it.

Sorry for photos. I lost the net login and had to plug in a monitor and keyboard to the server.  Then take photos with my camera to post to forum. I'll do screen shots whenever possible. 

Thanks for the reply. The array size is much smaller now that it says Disk 1 is unmountable.  Any advice on the order to try and recover my systems disks 4 and disk 1. 

Edited by drjUnraid

I don't see disk4 in the SMART but it is emulated and mounted so rebuilding it should be fine.

As for disk1, are those diagnostics you posted the most recent? As I said

26 minutes ago, trurl said:

According to your diagnostics disk1 is mounted and has 9.6TB of files on it.

It is showing some connection problems in syslog though.

You might be best to wait until you get the new SATA card to try to fix anything.

• Like 1

@trurl and Unraiders:

I got the a new SATA card installed. I can see Disk4 in the unassigned devices now, its the Toshiba 2TB drive.  (I also figured out how to save screen shots in the console GUI to the unRaid flash drive).  That made me realize that the log file I "thought" I saved was not correct as you suspected. I uploaded a new one to the OP and repeated it here as well.  I booted, stoped array, did some check disk, started array in maintence mode, checked Disk1 XFS File System Repair "-nv" then I restarted the array and took the diagnostic.  

Not sure which problem to tackle first, Disk 4 or Disk 1.  

I notice that I can hear Disk1 clicking, like its resetting or spinning down abruptly.  I changed the SATA data cable and switched to a different Sata Port on the Motherboard, but it didn't change the clicking/resetting sound.  

Thanks!

NAS4x12 Main_Disk4Missing_Disk1NoFileSystem.jpg

nas4x12-diagnostics-20200802-2320_Stop_RestartArray.zip

Looks like you scrolled some important information off the top of your screenshot, so we can't see parity or disk1. From diagnostics it looks like disk1 is unmountable and disk4 is disabled but emulated disk4 is mounted.

SMART for disk1 looks OK but you do seem to be having connection issues with it. Are you sure it has good power?

Did you capture the output of the filesystem check on disk1? Can you tell us any more about that?

@trurl et all

I redid all the screen shots here.  Disk1 FileSystem Check is shown attached.  (Screenshot_2020-08-03 NAS4x12 Device.png)  The main and Dashboard screens are also captured. 

Before this boot I swapped the power cords and data cords for Disk 1 with another disk. I think I still heard the spindown/reset.  It didn't change the file structure error status.  Included latest diagnostic dump.  I have additional 12TB HD's I can swap in if needed when it comes to recovery. 

nas4x12-diagnostics-20200803-1303Stop_Restart_MovedDisk1PowerAndDataCable.zip

Screenshot_2020-08-03 NAS4x12 Device.png

Screenshot_2020-08-03 NAS4x12 Dashboard.png

Screenshot_2020-08-03 NAS4x12 Main.png

• 1 year later...

Thank you for this thread, sir drjUnraid. 

My power supply recently died. But after replacing it, 2 disks wont mount.

I actually had accepted the loss of 7TB of backup work files when I saw this post.

Followed the spaceinvaders tutorial. After a tense one hour, everything mounted.

As I type, unraid is doing a parity check. 

Thank you also to the awesome unraid community. 

Regards,

junbernardo

Edited by junbernardo