Entire Share and Date Vanhished

I had a Media share with about 8Tb of data, and somehow it is now gone. All of my movies, pics, music, and home videos have just disappeared. All other shares are still there, and operating fine. I just can’t figure out how to find out what happened. The free space on the array shows correct, as if the data has all just been deleted. I’m fairly sure it happened in the last 24-48 hrs.

The entire ‘media’ folder (including all sub folders) is also missing when I use Krusader to browse.

Is there any log file I can check to see what happened? Is there a data recovery option I can try? The server isn't used a lot, so I don't expect there has been much or anything re-written to the drives.

syslog.txt

Looks like all your disks together have 960GB + 142G on Unassigned. Looks like disk2,3 has little if anything on them.

Doesn't look like you had a share named media, but there was a share that might have been name Media and it doesn't exist anymore.

Can you tell us anything more about what you might have done?

Yeah, the primary function of this machine was as a Plex Server. My media was 8+Tb of the available 16Tb array. See the attached screenshot for what I think was my Media share. The only thing I can think of is that Plex had read/write access, so someone in my house may have deleted files that way.... but as far as I'm aware, that has to be done file by file, not a whole folder structure at a time.

The only thing I've done recently is create a new Apple Time Machine share.

This has to be a user action right? If it were a disk error, the files would still be emulated by the parity drive, correct? I don't even know where to begin investigating. I would like to make sure not to let it happen again!

Thanks for the help btw!!

Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 10.57.48 PM.png

That screenshot is what I was looking at in your diagnostics when I said

13 hours ago, trurl said:

there was a share that might have been name Media and it doesn't exist anymore

If you open up that file that you have circled in red you will see it says it exists on no drives.

Did you have any other problems before you posted that you tried to fix yourself, perhaps the wrong way?

No, I haven't done anything to the server since I noticed the files were missing. The only thing I can think is that maybe I accidentally deleted the entire 'Media' folder in Krusader when I was deleting old Time Machine shares.

I really don't think that's what happened, but I can't think of anything else it could possibly be. I'm not worried about the files I lost, just more concerned that I can't figure out how or why it happened. and therefor can't be sure it won't happen again.

No, no other problems.

I've been trying to get some USB cards passed through in a VM using VFIO-PCI Config, but that was about a week ago, and I had been watching media through Plex after that. The only thing I was doing immediately before I noticed the missing data was deleting old Time Machine locations using Krusader. I think I have half hearedly convinced myself that I accidentally deleted the 'Media' folder while meaning to delete 'Old Time Machine' folder.