Move to Unraid Steps Check

Hi All

I'm just about to move over to Unraid from a Windows Server/Drive Pool set up. I've backed up the slightly less than 13tb of data I have to two 14tb drives. After checking previous posts it seems like I should be able to do the following:

• Boot to Unraid, license it etc and then configure it to use the drives that are currently in the Drive Pool array. 
  • Wipe the data that is there and then set up the shares that I will be using
  • Install the unassigned devices plugin from the community plugins addon
  • Copy the data from one of the 14tb drives to the array
  • Check that it's all moved over correctly
  • Wipe and add one of the 14tb drives to the array
  • Let Unraid move the data about as it wants (?)
  • Check again that the data is the same as the second 14tb drive
  • Wipe the second 14tb drive and add it as a parity drive
  • Let Unraid create the parity data
  • Add the SSD that is currently running Windows Server as a cache drive
  • Point the devices that access the data at the new shares
  • Done?

Does that all sound sensible? Have I missed any obvious steps that I need to be aware of or are there any best practice steps I should be taking?

I've got all the drives bar the two new 14tbs on SATA headers on the motherboard with the two new drives being connected to my new-ish LSI card. Should I move drives over to the LSI or does it not really matter and just add new drives to it as I expand?

Any tips or pointers would be very appreciated

Cheers

16 minutes ago, Oddbin said:

Let Unraid move the data about as it wants (?)

It doesn't want. Only moving is in accordance with the Use cache setting of each user share.

21 minutes ago, Oddbin said:

Does that all sound sensible?

Yes

18 minutes ago, Oddbin said:

just add new drives to it as I expand?

I always recommend only adding drives as needed for capacity. Each additional drive is an additional point of failure, requires more ports and power, and at some point, more license.

Be sure to install cache before enabling dockers/VMs so those get created on cache where they belong.

Let us know if you have any problems.

6 minutes ago, trurl said:

It doesn't want. Only moving is in accordance with the Use cache setting of each user share.

Yes

I always recommend only adding drives as needed for capacity. Each additional drive is an additional point of failure, requires more ports and power, and at some point, more license.

Be sure to install cache before enabling dockers/VMs so those get created on cache where they belong.

Let us know if you have any problems.

Thanks for replying and checking my work. I hadn't thought about the dockers I am intending to run so that's a good catch, thanks. 

Feel confident enough to power on and start the process now though so here goes!