Hardware transcoding to docker (Solved)

Hi all, sorry if this isn't the right spot...please move accordingly!

It seems HW transcoding has come along way, and I am ready to jump in with recently decommissioned hardware from work, woohoo!

GPU : Quadro m2000 4gb, based on the elpamsoft list, it should be able to do h265. 

I believe its as straight forward as adding support, and... viola? I am using a quadro, so no issues there... right?!

Also I see the linuxserver.io plugin and another from ich777, is there a difference? I think I just need the first plugin

And one last question, since I've got a dual cpu server, does it matter if I put the gpu on cpu0 or cpu1?

Edited by tbonedude420
solved
13 minutes ago, tbonedude420 said:

Hi all, sorry if this isn't the right spot...please move accordingly!

It seems HW transcoding has come along way, and I am ready to jump in with recently decommissioned hardware from work, woohoo!

GPU : Quadro m2000 4gb, based on the elpamsoft list, it should be able to do h265. 

I believe its as straight forward as adding support, and... viola? I am using a quadro, so no issues there... right?!

Also I see the linuxserver.io plugin and another from ich777, is there a difference? I think I just need the first plugin

And one last question, since I've got a dual cpu server, does it matter if I put the gpu on cpu0 or cpu1?

Yes. Voila. But assuming you are not using some super exotic H265 profiles. The vast majority of things would work seamlessly.

LSIO plugin will automate the installation of the Unraid Nvidia build that was built by the LSIO team. If your only intention is to use Unraid with Nvidia support then that probably is the easiest point to start. Note that after you install the plugin, you still have to go to Settings -> Unraid Nvidia to initial the download and install the custom build.

ICH777 plugin is intended to use for anyone wanting to compile their own kernel (i.e. in conjunction with the ICH777 custom kernel compile docker) with things beyond just Nvidia drivers. It doesn't automate the installation of the kernel so you will have to do it manually.

With both, it's critical to note that you should NOT update Unraid using the official GUI. You basically have to wait till the appropriate custom build has been released.

It matters in a sense. Your docker should pin the cores corresponding to the cpu to which the card is connected.

Edited by testdasi

"With both, it's critical to note that you should NOT update Unraid using the official GUI. You basically have to wait till the appropriate custom build has been released."

Important note, got it. I am on 6.9 beta, should I drop back to stable first ? I ran 6.8 a long time its very stable with my setup. Just wanted to play around with 6.9 though. Sidenote: I blame spaceinvaderone!

5 minutes ago, tbonedude420 said:

Important note, got it. I am on 6.9 beta, should I drop back to stable first ? I ran 6.8 a long time its very stable with my setup. Just wanted to play around with 6.9 though. Sidenote: I blame spaceinvaderone!

You can but you don't have to.

There are 6.9.0 beta builds already released for Unraid Nvidia (and ICH777-compiled build over in the ICH777 plugin support topic).

I vaguely remember beta22 or beta24 has an old Nvidia driver that didn't work but I'm pretty sure beta25 has the latest driver that should work.

• Like 1

Awesome, and thanks for quick responses!

It appears I have more homework to-do. I am okay with building a kernel, assuming there is an idiot 101 guide for special ol' me. :)

I will test out the plugin, this setup currently is not mission critical, I am open to failure and learning. I have a primary system for everything else.

EDIT  :: -N- ::  UPDATE

I hurried home, as fast as I could!

image.png.4c991ae18bc410065267c106a76cdd7c.png

Alright, so far so good.

image.png.a8985ff4e0c91f4eba52671247fb672b.png

Oh boy, were getting somewhere!

image.png.f87a188df15e9f0ff3280545120ab4f7.png

Yay!!! Success!

Thanks again to @testdasi, it truly was a Viola'! moment :)

on beta 25, took less then 10 minutes including shutdown, and restarting of the server. !! :)

Edited by tbonedude420
updates