StevenD's Rig

[b]Case:     [/b]       SuperMicro SuperChassis 933T-R760B 3U Rackmount
[b]Rack:  [/b]          APC 22U NetShelter
[b]Power Supply: [/b]   3 x SuperMicro PWS-0050M 380w (760w total w/ redundancy)
[b]MB:[/b]              SuperMicro X9SCM-F
[b]Processor:[/b]       Intel Xeon E3-1230v2
[b]Heatsink: [/b]       SuperMicro 1U SNK-P0046P
[b]Memory:[/b]          4 x 8GB Hynix HMT41GU7MFR8C-PB
[b]SATA: [/b]           2 x IBM ServeRAID M1015
[b]Fans:[/b]            2 x Cooler Master BladeMaster 80mm PWM High Air Flow Silent Case Fan R4-BM8S-30PK-R0
                 4 x Cooler Master BladeMaster 92mm PWM High Air Flow Silent Case Fan R4-BM9S-28PK-R0
[b]Fan Cables: [/b]     6 x Supermicro CBL-0088L (since I needed 4 wire connections)
                 PWM-Y Cable Adapter (since I only have 5 fan connectors on my motherboard)
[b]Hard Drives:[/b]     13 x Hitachi/HGST 4TB 7200rpm (HDS724040ALE640/HDN724040ALE640)
                 1 x Crucial M550 512GB SSD (Cache)

[b]Total Storage:[/b]   48TB

A few folks have asked about the energy usage of this case. Here are the readings from my Kill-A-Watt with one power supply plugged in and three power supplies plugged in:

[b]  State	                          One PS (watts)	Three PS (watts)[/b]
  Standby	                              5	             15
  Initial Powerup	                    230	            250
  During Boot	                        130	            150
  Fans on LOW - All Drives Spinning	  104	            136
  Fans on LOW - No Drives Spinning    	65	             96
  Fans on HIGH - All Drives Spinning    112	            143
  Fans on HIGH - No Drives Spinning      73	            105
  Parity Check	                       132	            162

h6AM8.jpg

Ty3Or.jpg

j5fFK.jpg

sNrd7.jpg

Finally got it rack mounted. I picked up an APC NetShelter 22U off of CraisList.

PtNBM.jpg

Nice!  How is the Noise level?

We've shipped a few of these as custom builds.

This case includes a row of four fans in the middle, and he has removed three of them (you can see one across from the power supply in his photos).  Probably he removed the other three for purposes of showing the cabling in the photo.  But with all the fans blazing away, this case sounds like a 747 during liftoff  ;D

As long as you have the "dummy" trays installed in all unoccupied drive slots, you might get away with removing these middle fans and rely on the two rear exhaust fans - but these guys are pretty loud too.

This is a common problem with rack mount cases: they tend to be loud as hell.

Nice!  How is the Noise level?

We've shipped a few of these as custom builds.

This case includes a row of four fans in the middle, and he has removed three of them (you can see one across from the power supply in his photos).  Probably he removed the other three for purposes of showing the cabling in the photo.  But with all the fans blazing away, this case sounds like a 747 during liftoff  ;D

As long as you have the "dummy" trays installed in all unoccupied drive slots, you might get away with removing these middle fans and rely on the two rear exhaust fans - but these guys are pretty loud too.

This is a common problem with rack mount cases: they tend to be loud as hell.

Yes, the fans were removed in the pic just so you can see things.

I replaced the stock fans with CoolerMaster 4-pin fans (see original post) and use the fan control script to control them.  Its not very loud at all now with all 6 fans running.  I also never see temps above 37 degrees when running a parity check.

I replaced the stock fans with CoolerMaster 4-pin fans (see original post) and use the fan control script to control them.  Its not very loud at all now with all 6 fans running.  I also never see temps above 37 degrees when running a parity check.

Have you tried running with the four middle fans completely removed?  I seem to remember some kind of alarm that goes off when you remove the fans - does this case still do that?

Have you tried running with the four middle fans completely removed?  I seem to remember some kind of alarm that goes off when you remove the fans - does this case still do that?

If you enable the jumpers for the fans on the backplane, you can remove the fans without the alarm.  I tried that and my drives quickly got over 40 degrees.  Thats when I decided to get the quieter/slower fans.  I also wanted 4-pin fans so I could control them with the fan control script that someone posted.

Great looking build!  I have this case still NIB because I don't have a good location to put a loud server.  But I REALLY want to build it :)

Well, buy the quieter 4-pin fans and control them with the script, or sell it to me for a ridiculously low price!  I want another one of these cases for my SAN.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Just a note as I tried to modify this case with an atx board but the slot closest to the processor is rendered useless by the case design.  The original motherboard in this machine has that slot removed you can see the solder points.  Just a note.  I needed that slot and it wouldn't work in this case unfortunately.  I want to check out the 835 case I think that fixes this problem.

Neil

• 2 years later...

What is the purpose of the fan cables? Just to make them longer?

No. The "sockets" where all the fans plugged in were only 3-wire. I wanted to use 4-wire PWM fans, so I had to replace the cables/sockets with the 4-wire versions.

maybe I am missing something but if the socket on MB is 3-pin that means it does not support fan  speed control. thus you can only turn fan on/off

What is the purpose of the fan cables? Just to make them longer?

No. The "sockets" where all the fans plugged in were only 3-wire. I wanted to use 4-wire PWM fans, so I had to replace the cables/sockets with the 4-wire versions.

maybe I am missing something but if the socket on MB is 3-pin that means it does not support fan  speed control. thus you can only turn fan on/off

Correct.  The two motherboards I have used in this case have had 4-pin connectors.

• 1 month later...