Options for more cache space?

Hi,

I run a full backup of all my servers, desktops, laptops, etc around the house weekly. It goes over my 250gb cache drive space, causing some backups to fail due to insufficient space. I guess unRAID can't direct writes to the array directly midway through writes.

I have turned off cache for certain backups like Veeam so my cache drive doesn't reach max capacity, but the write speeds are slow!

Could I add in another SSD in addition to the one I currently have in there to expand the pool capacity, or is the only option to buy a larger disk?

In this particular case, I would use either an Unassigned Device or a second cache pool exclusively for the ingest of these backups. There's a couple of reasons:

1. Wear leveling, and NAND degradation. Repeatedly filling and dumping an SSD is going to kill it. For bulk ingest disks that are constantly dumped to the array I would rather it not by the system cache drives that hold my appdata and such. Even if it's mirrored and/or backed up, when the drive inevitably dies I'd rather it be something I can replace and not have to mess with.

2. You can keep this volume completely empty and buy a disk (or disks) that match the needed capacity. If your needs expand down the road you can simply increase the size of the disk(s) utilized and move on, no need to worry about transferring settings, applications or data to the new disks.